Sunday, February 4, 2024

I Bought This! (But Did You?)

 There's no question about it. We get some weird customers that come into the store.

I mean, probably most retail stores get their fair share of odd customers.

But sometimes I think our store sees a higher quantity of crazy characters compared to others.

So.

Today I had a lady call the store. 

Stating that she and her husband had been in the store yesterday about lunch time. Buying a bunch of things for their brand new puppy. 

And they realized that some of the stuff they bought...hadn't made it home with them. So she wanted to know if we had a bag of product set to the side.

Which...having closed last night...I don't recall seeing anything like that.

But at the same time, it's possible that one of the other cashiers had assumed the bag of product was just product a customer decided they didn't want or had returned and they'd put everything back on the shelf.

So I figured I'd do some research....since I couldn't find the bag up front. Just to see if our inventory on some of the products listed as missing were right.

Because like if a customer bought a collar...and inventory says we have 5 of them but there's 6 on the shelf, then obviously there's an extra one there. So it's probably the customers.

But the customer was rather...vague...on what they'd 'forgotten' at the store.

She was pretty confident she'd bought a collar and a dog toy and some dog treats.....

And thankfully she'd had a membership with us so I was able to look up her receipt on the register. 

And that receipt showed a dog toy, and dog treats and....a dog harness.

So I said I'd look into it and call them back.

And tried to track down at least the toy, treat, and harness.

Only the harness was clearance. They'd bought the last one. And the dog treat showed we were one short instead of one over.....and like...there wasn't a collar listed at all.....

Which meant I was getting nowhere fast.

Thankfully, today I had access to our cameras that watch the registers.

And since I had the receipt, I knew what time the customer had purchased everything. So we could pull up the view of the cameras at that time and just...watch the transaction in it's entirety to see if the bag was forgotten and if it was...where it ended up.

... ... ... 

Funnily enough.

Nothing was forgotten.

There was no collar rung up. Only one set of treats rung up. Only one toy rung up. We watched the cashier put everything in the bags and hand all the bags to the customers. Watched them walk out the door.

So like.... 

Nothing had been left in our store.

Doesn't mean something was left in the parking lot in a cart because that does happen on occasion.

But when the customers left the store, they had everything with them that they'd brought up to the register.

Which came as a shock to the woman when I called her back.

"Wait, we got 2 toys right?! No we got a collar too!!"

And it was great that I could positively say. "No, sorry, we watched the transaction. You did not buy a collar. You only bought one toy. You did not buy multiple treats. Everything you purchased on the receipt was handed to you and you took it out of the building." 

And I just...have to wonder....what the customer was thinking.

Like....it's possible that they were indecisive while shopping in our store. That she and her husband put things in the cart, took them out, put them in, and they just forgot what they decided not to get or not.

Or maybe they went to multiple stores and they left their collar and toys at some other pet store?

Maybe they were just trying to get free stuff.

It's hard to know for sure.

But I did have the evidence saying that they didn't get what they thought they got.

..

...

...

In any case, around the same time today...I noticed a couple in the store with a cute puppy...that looked very similar to the couple I'd watched on our cameras earlier with their puppy.

So I definitely was wondering if they came into the store again today to get the stuff they thought they bought but didn't....

Until you next find these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment