Wednesday, September 1, 2021

Burning

 So last month my family took our first family vacation since Daddoo got remarried.

The location was Lake Tahoe. A place we'd never been before.

And a place that was surrounded by fires on three sides.

Though said fires were far away from the lake itself, the smoke made itself well known while we were there. Most of the time it was hard to see the lake fully to appreciate its beauty that it's apparently renowned for. 

And while I knew there were fires burning throughout California.

It didn't really cross my mind that they would be coming nearer to Lake Tahoe itself.

But this past week or so. 

I've seen news stories pop up in my social media feeds. About how the fire is coming closer. And closer. And closer.

To the point now where South Lake Tahoe has been evacuated as a precaution because the fire is coming close enough to be a concern

Like. 

It's weird to think.

That places I drove through...might not exist anymore. 

Like my family stayed in a condo in the Nevada side.

But we did drive into the California side to hang at the beach and to check out Emerald Bay and such.

And it's crazy to think that what I saw...may no longer be there.

And it makes me wonder.

If the fire continues. If it crosses the stateline into Nevada....

Is it possible that the condo we stayed at for our vacation could burn? It's a weird feeling. To think that we might be one of the last people who stayed in a place before it could be destroyed by fire.

I'm hoping not. Hoping that they'll be able to get the fires under control and to save any more structures from burning.

At the same time....I can't help but wonder.

What will still be there....once all is said and done. 

Until you next find these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment