Friday, February 3, 2023

The Dasher Glitch

 We had the oddest glitch happen at work yesterday.

So.

We do curbsides in our store right? Customer orders items online and they can come pick it up in the store, or have us bring it out to them in their car, or else have doordash deliver it to their home.

-Though we're apparently going to be adding another option of 'ship from store' with my store being one of the 'test' stores. Soooo that's going to be interesting to deal with when we impliment it.

In any case.

Customer orders online and we in the store have 3 hours to pick said order.

-Not that customers pay attention to that specific detail. But it does say to give us at least 3 hours.

Though most of the time it doesn't take us that long. We usually can get an order picked within half an hour of it dropping. Mostly it depends on how busy we are at the moment.

So the Glitch.

I was backing up the register when a dasher came through saying that they were here to pick up an order.

And usually with Dashers they give a first name and like first 2 or 3 letters of the last name. 

But this order was weird because it just said "Ore" 

So I pull up our curbside system to look for the order.

And there's no order for "Ore"

No big deal there. 

One of the odd things about the curbside system is that sometimes if a person is placing an order on behalf of the other person the other person will come in to pick it up, but the order will be under the orderer's name instead. 

But usually on the papers we print out and stick on the order there will be a "So and So is picking it up for me" section. And when we get into the actual order itself the order will show us two options (the orderer, or the pick up person) as the one picking up.

So I just needed to put in the Dasher's order number to find said order.

And said order did pull up. Under a different name. Confirming my suspicion someone else was supposed to pick up the order.

Though I recognized the name of said person ordering as they're one of our more regular curbside pick up people. 

But I don't recall an "Ore" being one to pick it up.

HOWEVER.

The main thing when I pulled up the order.

Was that it hadn't been picked yet.

Because said order had dropped FIFTEEN MINUTES AGO.

And DoorDash has its issues for sure.

But one thing that it does do is that people can't order a doordash and have it delivered that quickly.

No Doordash has 'time slots' and while I haven't used them myself. Those time slots are usually like 4 to 8 hours AFTER the order is placed.

Ergo enough time to give us people at the store time to pick the order and have it ready. 

Fifteen minutes though? Unheard of. Doordash doesn't do delivery that quickly. Not unless it's a 'new' thing with the 'new' year since the 'new year' starts for us in February instead of January.

In any case.

I inform the dasher that their order isn't ready yet, but I'd go pick it right then.

And when I printed out the slip, I glanced at the time it was supposed to be picked up (as the dash orders always list the time frame an order is supposed to be picked up in) and it listed it as 3pm.

At the time of picking said order it was just after 11am. 

So the doordasher was 4 hours too early picking up the order.

Whatever. I figured it was a glitch. I picked the order easily enough so I just gave it to the dasher. And pushed the order through the system to say it'd been picked up. And mentally marked it off as a "That was weird" moment. 

I wasn't planning to think on it further.

Only to have the Dasher come back into the store a few minutes later and ask to talk to me.

Why?

Because they were having trouble delivering their order to the customer.

As when they selected the "take me to their address" option....the dashing app led the dasher....straight back to our store. The address listed was our store. 

So the dasher attempted to call the customer to get their address.

Only for the phone number provided to ring out to our store.

Which. Weird. So weird. Like...why would our store address and our store number be listed?

I took another glance at the paper and in the "Pick up section" it had "Doordash on behalf of (Store Number & City) on it. 

O.o

Why would DoorDash need to pick up on behalf of our store?? So weird. So very weird.

In any case, since the customer is a semi-regular person I was able to look up their phone number from a previous order and offered to have the dasher call that number. 

But since the order wasn't supposed to be picked up until after 3pm anyways.

The dasher decided to cut their loss and cancel the pick up of this order and just left it here in the store for someone else to grab when the time slot came.

So. Put the order back in our curbside area to await pick up. And informed the various managers who would be working during the pick up time frame what was going on.

As since I'd already pushed the order through as "Picked Up" it wouldn't show up under the "Open Orders" section of orders waiting to be grabbed. So I was doing my duty and letting the other managers know what was up so there would be hopefully less confusion.

Figured that would be that.

But when I came in this morning and checked our curbsides.....

The order was still there.

Which meant no Dasher had come by yesterday after 3 to pick up the order.

But hey. I hadn't looked looked at the date. And since we hold orders for only 3 days before returning them to the shelf (and refunding the customer) sometimes the Dash orders are for the next day. I don't recal seeing them for past next day shipping. I'm guessing DoorDash really only has a 24 hour clock to order in?? Not certain since I've never used the app.

In any case.

I went to check the date to see if it was an order for today instead of yesterday.

And the date on the paper?

Was for 12/27/2022.

No. That is not a typo. The date was for DECEMBER 27th of LAST YEAR. 

Like. What?????????

Because again, we only keep customer's orders for 3 days before returning them to the shelf. 

There is no way an order placed YESTERDAY could be from DECEMBER.

Like time travel shenigans much? 

Totally alot.

So there was the delimma. the doordash pick up time was for like 39 days ago. Therefore Doordash wasn't going to pick up the order any time soon.

And I'd already pushed said order through the system. So it wouldn't show as a "need to put back."

And like....I wasn't even sure if the customer had been notified that their order had been 'picked up' but never delievered?

Like had they even ordered it in the first place?

Was this a time delay glitch where the order was in the nether until yesterday when it finally dropped?

Who knows.

But after talking to my head manager, we decided it would be best to call the customer. Just so we could figure it out.

So I looked up their information and got their phone number. 

And interestly enough.

The customer stated that they hadn't even selected DoorDash as an option when they placed the order. No they'd selected "store pick up" aka the customer was planning to come to the store to grab the order themselves. No 3rd party necessary. 

And they told me they thought it was weird that they got a "Door Dasher is trying to get your address" notification yesterday....when they hadn't ordered through doordash and weren't expecting it to be picked up by anyone but themselves.

In any case.

We decided it was a glitch in the system.

Probably related to the "ship from store" program that we're going to be piloting sometime in the new future. 

But yah. Weird times.

Hopefully the customer got their order....as I left before they came by to get it.

Until you next find these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment