Tuesday, May 30, 2023

Busy Busy

 I always think that holidays are going to be busy in the store.

Since people tend to do all their shopping on their days off. Or else they come to the stores in hopes of finding good sales going on for the holidays. 

Oftentimes I forget though, especially with the warmer weather, that people tend to go on vacation on holidays. It doesn't always feel like it at work. But some holidays are actually more quiet than expected. 

But that means....if people vanished on vaca for the holiday....that they'll need to do all their shopping when they get back into town.

Which means that a day or two after the holiday....tends to be pretty busy too. 

That was the case today.

Which was frustrating.

Because we ended up being short staffed. 

A lot of it was because corporate keeps cutting our hours so we can't staff as many people at once.

But today, today it was because one of our scheduled workers hadn't realized that they had a shift today. *exhales* And when we finally reached them to see if they were still coming in...they admitted they weren't in town. *double exhales* 

Which sucked. Because I couldn't get anyone else to come in until later. Towards the end of the work day. 

And like...until 530ish I had coverage. In that I had another manager with me, a cashier, and a petcare person.

But I really wished we had that fifth person. Because I ended up having to back up cashier every 5 minutes it felt like. Like I don't know what was going on with the cashier and/or the customers but it felt like whenever I would get off register because the line was finally gone....five minutes later the cashier would be calling for back up once more because the line had gotten long. 

So. Very. Frustrating. 

I do not like being on register. And it adds more stress to me trying to cover the floor and cashiering at the same time. 

Thankfully our Dog Trainer was able to help be on register for a couple of hours due to classes not showing up. And I was able to get another cashier in for the last hour just in time for a rush. 

But ugh.

I hate busy days. 

And today was one of the busiest days we've had in a while. With the deposit being nearly twice that of yesterday's.

So. Crazy.

But we survived...somehow. 

Until you next find these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment