Monday, May 22, 2023

Wish I Did More

It's something I've come to accept at work...that I can't help every customer who comes in.

For one. I'm only one person. I can't personally greet everyone in the store.

For two. I only have so much knowledge. And if I don't know the answers to customer's questions it's hard to help them find the answers. Often I still try. Try by extrapolating based on other experiences I've had and such.

For three. We don't always carry the product that customers want. Whether if it's as simple as being out of stock, or more slightly complicated in it being a competitor's brand, online only, or a TV special...we don't always have what customers want and they don't always want to try a similar product.

And then there's four.

And that's like....the customers who are in distress that you really wish you could help in some way but just can't.

Today while I experienced all of these....it was number four that hit me harder today.

Because I was on register, covering a quick bathroom break for our cashier, when an older woman came up to the register to check out.

And upon asking her "How are you today?"

She promptly burst into tears.

And like...my heart reached out for her.

Because through her crying she told me that she'd lost her daughter last weekend to a car crash. And that she's just trying to find a litter box small enough to fit in her car as she's going to go pick up the daughter's cat.

And like....it was hard. So hard to see her falling to pieces. Especially when I was trapped at the register and couldn't really help her find the 'right' solution without getting others to help. And it's...it's hard. I totally understand the pain of losing someone unexpectedly. And it has to be so much harder to lose a child. Like a parent never expects to have their child go first. So I could see she was falling apart.

I desperately wanted to give her a hug, but at the same time I wasn't sure that was appropriate to do with her being a customer and me being a worker. I still wish I did though. She probably really could have used it.

However, I did give her a discount on her product. Just so it wouldn't cost her as much to buy the litter box. She probably didn't even realize I did it as I didn't mention it to her. But I hoped it helped...a little bit. 

*exhales*

I feel for her. So much. I wish I could have helped her more. 

Until you next find these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment