Friday, May 19, 2023

You Didn't Actually Need A Manager

 It's always amusing...in a frustrating fashion, when people demand to talk to a manager....when their questions or needs could have been answered by almost anyone else.

Especially when it comes in regards to animal care questions. Like I have this entire petcare department where our job is to tell you all about the pets and their care. You don't need a manager to tell you that. Most managers never worked in petcare at all. Their knowledge is lacking.

So the fact that a person demanded a manager today....to talk about parakeets.

Is frustrating.

Like lucky them I'm a manager who actually has experience in Petcare. Because I can guarantee if it was any other manager who'd come up they would have called me over anyways to answer all the questions. *rolls eyes*

In any case.

This particular customer was looking to get some parakeets. Though he started out the conversation with "Hey, your competitor sells their parakeets for $40 ($5 less than us) and if we bought 2 of them we could get 2 for $60. Do you have any deals like that?

Nope. 

It's rare for us to do that sort of sale for animals. 

Like fish? Sure. We do sales all the time like that "Buy 4 get 15% off" "Buy 1 get one 50% off" We do those sales for fish all the time.

But the other creatures in the store? Not so much. Like yes, they do go on sale. But not in a "buy more for less" sort of way. 

Probably to discourage customers from hoarding animals or putting too many together in too small of a space.

In any case. 

Dude wanted to know if I could basically "do one better" than the other place.

And like... if it was product I could price match our prices with their prices. That's something we do.

But animals? No. We don't price match those. They're set at the prices they're set at. And the only reason why you'd get a 'deal' on them would be if we had some special needs animals that need to be adopted out instead of sold.

In any case.

The dude was fishing to try and see if I would give him a better deal than the other place as he claimed that they were cheaper and had stuff for less etc.

Again. Good for them. I was like "If you want to save money there that's a good idea." as I could honestly care less where the customer gets stuff. I don't get paid commission for selling things. I get paid by the hour. So whether or not a customer buys product doesn't affect my pay rate. (Though apparently it does affect how many hours we're given in the store which is so stupid) 

However.

At the end of the day. The customer did end up buying a parakeet from us. Mostly because I said "We do clip the wings for free here. I'm not sure if the other place does." And then I also showed him "hey our food is buy one get one 50% off" "Hey our bird toys are buy 3 get the 4th free" so I showed him deals in the area that enticed him enough to actually buy from us.

So yay success story!!

But honestly...the dude didn't need a manager specifically to guide him by the hand to show him all the things. *shakes head* Any of my petcare associates could have done the same thing with basically the same results. 

I just...I don't understand those people. 

Like I suppose I do in a way that they want to get someone who's 'in charge' and 'knows their stuff' and they don't want to have to deal with 'clueless newbies' but like the managers have a ton of other tasks they need to do that don't involve holding customers by the hand and guiding them around the store when any other worker could have done the same.  *shakes heads*

Until you next find these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment