Monday, November 12, 2018

Lil Lizard

So a few days ago, I was talking to the managers in the office when I got a call over the radio for 'Petcare' aka Me as I was the only one scheduled in the department currently to come up to register one.

I don't like going into a situation without knowing why. So I asked what the situation was.

And the cashier came back with the statement along the lines of "A woman received a lizard in the mail and doesn't want it." 

Which. O.o Huh? 
I mean, I'm aware you can order animals like reptiles and get them shipped to your home.

But my work doesn't do that.
And the cashier had made it sound like the woman had received a reptile in a shipment from us....which...again I didn't think we did. We don't ship live animals. 

So I come up to the front.
And there's a woman standing there with a Tupperware container.
That had a little hatchling lizard in it.

Like the thing was tiny. barely the length of my pinky. So like an inch and a half long maybe? 
And the poor creature was missing it's tail. Dropped it somewhere in transportation.

Because the woman hadn't received this tiny lizard that looked like a baby leopard gecko via normal means.

No. She's opening a shop up the road apparently, and inside a box of frames she ordered....her and her coworkers found this little lizard inside.

The little guy had hitched a ride all the way from Texas in that box.

And she had no idea what to do with it.
Her coworkers just wanted to toss it outside to fend for itself which :S :S :S Since it's gotten below freezing this past week...the gecko wouldn't have lasted long at all.

But we don't take in animals. 
We only accept ones that have been bought from us within the past couple of weeks.

So we couldn't officially take the lizard.

Yet. It was a lizard. A baby one at that. Of an unknown species to us. Because even though it looked like a leopard gecko...I had no idea if it actually was one because we never get in our geckos that itty bitty. 

But I figured my brother would know.
And there was a high chance he would be able to take in the little guy.
As he owns a whole collection of reptiles and I figured he could handle this one.

If not....well....I'd either find one of my other coworkers willing to take him, or see if I could convince my roommates to be okay with having a lizard in the house.

So I agreed to take the lizard from the customer.
Then went and promptly texted my brother to see if he wanted it.

He did.
*sigh of relief* 
He likes rescuing animals.

The only slight hiccup was....that my brother was out of town.
And wouldn't be back for a couple of days.

Thankfully, I had understanding roommates and so I set up a temporary enclosure in that old fishtank that I'd scratched up. 
And then brought it up to him to take. 

lol. 
He was caught off guard by how tiny the lizard was.
Like I'd told him it was small.

But he was still thinking the lizard would be twice the size it ended up being. 

^^;

And through a bit of online research, we think it might be a Mediterranean House Gecko. One that only gets to be 5"-6" and does regrow it's tail.

So as long as my brother can ensure the lizard eats well....it should do well in it's new home! 

^^;; *fingers crossed*

Until you next see these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment