Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Circle in the Sand

Sometimes words of songs just get stuck in my head.
Often times I'm not sure why a song suddenly starts playing.
Sometimes its because of a phrase read or heard that is part of a song.

The song that has been in my head today is titled:
Circle in the Sand by Belinda Carlisle.
It goes as follows:

Sundown all around
Walking thru the summer's end
Waves crash, don't look back
I won't walk away again

Oh, anywhere you go,
We are bound together
I begin, where you end
Some things are forever!

Circle in the sand
'Round and 'round
Never ending love is what we've found
And you complete the heart of me
Our love is all we need
Circle in the sand

Cold wind, tide move in
Shiver in the salty air
Day breaks, my heart aches
I will wait for you right here

Oh, when you look for me
Can you see forever ?
I begin, where you end
We belong together

Circle in the sand
'Round and 'round
Rising of the moon as the sun goes down
And you complete the heart of me
Our love is all we need
Circle in the sand
Circle in the sand

Can you hear me ?
Can you hear me calling ?

To those who like to hear the song (since its beat is kind of catchy)
Here's the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8EvHmj3MfQ


And like most songs that end up stuck in your head....only a fraction of a verse is repeated over and over again in your head until it becomes rather annoying.

Circle in the sand.
'Round and 'Round

That's what has been stuck in my head for most of the day...or at least I keep consciously bringing it back to the forefront of my mind.

A circle in the sand.
Round and round

It seems oddly symbolic to me.
A circle in the sand.
Sand isn't that stable.
and do the the elements, often times that circle in the sand doesn't last long before its wiped away. As if it had never been.

Perhaps you can think of the circle in the sand like life.
What do we do day after day? Make circles in the sand.
Things never seem to be permanently done.
We get up each day, go to work/school/both, come home, go to bed.
And what do we do the next day? Basically the same thing.
Like chores.
Why are we always cleaning?
Dishes get done....but the next day there's more.
Laundry gets done, but you end up with more clothes before your done with the first batch.
Day follows night follows day.
We're in an endless circle.
But the circle in the sand....can change.
We can choose to variate that circle in the sand.
Sure, there is a beginning that combines with the end.
But the direction, the size, the shape of that 'circle' can change day by day.
Sometimes the changes you make are permanent
Other times you only trod that path a time or two before switching back to something more familiar.

Yet, as I was reading through the rest of the lyrics of the song. (So i could finally figure out what came after 'round and 'round)
I saw a message there.
Now, often times when I hear this song I think of a desert like the Sahara. And a person wandering there in endless circles, lost, under the hot sun. Baking them as they search, wander, look.

but can you see the message of hope in those lyrics?
Sundown all around
Walking thru the summer's end
Waves crash, don't look back
I won't walk away again

This verse could symbolize a promise. A choice. A change of heart.
We won't walk that way again. I won't do this I won't do that anymore. That circle will fade away beneath the pounding of the waves. Never to be seen again because you won't walk that way again.

Oh, anywhere you go,
We are bound together
I begin, where you end
Some things are forever!
Circle in the sand
'Round and 'round
Never ending love is what we've found
And you complete the heart of me
Our love is all we need
Circle in the sand

This could be a love song....yes it could.
I begin where you end....that makes me think of Christ.
And the footprint story. We're endlessly walking in the sand. yet sometimes we need a person to carry us for a while. When we're delirious. Thirsty, hallucinating. And our bodies just basically give up....when things end.
He begins. (not that he ever leaves) but he begins. He helps you out.
He completes your heart. Helps you to become better.
He gives you endless love. He will be with you forever.
As you circle in the sand.
round and round.
Never giving up when the sun goes down.
And you'll believe in that heart of me.
You'll believe forever.
Circle in the sand.  (I went into a random splurge of lyric fabrication. That was fun :D lol) 

Cold wind, tide move in
Shiver in the salty air
Day breaks, my heart aches
I will wait for you right here

Oh, when you look for me
Can you see forever ?
I begin where you end
We belong together

 I think this song might be a duet between two people.

Christ waits in the salty hair. His heart aches seeing us not coming to him.
Yet he waits right there for you. Waiting for you to reach to him so he can reach back and help you out
When he looks for us. he can see forever
When do you look for him? Can you see forever....no....but you can always look for him. In your circle in the sand, on the waves of the sea, on the tips of the peaks, and the valleys deep.
We belong together.
In the faith.
In our circle in the sand...our mortal life....here on earth, a circle in the sand.


What can we do with our circle of sand?
lots of things.  for one thing we can change the pattern.
Make an "8" instead of a "0" perhaps a "B"
what if we combined our circles with other circles to make flowers, patterns.
Each person has their own circle, yet the path deviates.
So while some areas will fade away. other will continue to be part of somebody's circle.
We leave influences. Some fleeting some semi permanent.

Follow your circle in the sand.
And look in the bright side.
;) You have someone there to meet you when you get tired, to lift you up, to help you for stretches in your life when you can't go on.

A circle in the sand.
Round and Round
Never ending love is what we've found
And you'll complete the heart of me
Your love is all I need
Circle in the Sand.

Until you next read these words;
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment