Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Small, Medium, or Large

Okay....so in the last post I told you that I was stubborn.
Usually I'm only stubborn if the rebellion only really effects myself.
When it effects others....I may or may not be quite so rebellious.

Especially with this blog, I am open to suggestions on what I can do to improve it.
So against my wishes....I have made the font on this blog bigger, so those of you with the eyes that don't like small things, you can find an easier way to read my words. :)
Since I'm selfish and I want you to read what I'm writing, I'm perfectly willing to make the font bigger.....even if I do vaguely feel like I'm yelling lol.

The suggestion of making this font bigger, so people could have an easier time reading made me think.
Sizes.
In that I also rebel.
It seems like in society that we place value on the big things.
The huge houses up on the hill, the SUVs, the boats, the trailers, in food, etc.
Food. You want a small, medium or large?
Oh medium? Well you can get a large for just 20 cents more. That's not a huge amount of money to spend. So go for that large.
Or in shirts.
Have you noticed that you only ever see XS, S, M, L, XL, XXL, XXXL, XXXXL???
Why do we not have an XXXS? why not have an XM?
We are a society focused on the big I think.
It may not be obvious. But its there. Perhaps it deals with our exercise habits, our food habits, our money habits, or the way we were raised,
But it seems like the motto has been for a long time "Bigger is Better."
Is it really better?
I'm thinking that I must not like that idea.
Since I tend to gravitate towards the small and simple items, instead of the big and gaudy things. Why not appreciate the small?

Maybe its because I'm not "Big" Height wise. *shrugs* who knows, but why do we applaud the 'big accomplishments' and not the small? lol. I like small. Its more maneuverable then big.  Size does play into account of things, Just as shape does. If i wanted to go into judgements.....I'd be here for a long time. Everything we see is taken into account and judged.
So I have a tendency to go for the smaller, the less gaudy, the simple items. (That will make my husband happy I guess haha)

Perhaps its just a random scripture quote that I"m misremembering.
"Through small and simple things will I make things great."

....I'm sure that's not a real quote.....like 85% sure. lol. But it is an idea that I follow.
Take something simple and make it amazing.
Perhaps that is the point of this blog.
To show you, the reader, small instances in everyday life that will make a great/big/mighty change in how you view things.

Like rectangles and circles.

Have you ever tried to make a rectangle shape move around a circle?
Its very difficult. You see a rectangle is long in shape. While a circle is a specific size.
You can't touch the circle when going around it. So you have to move the front of the rectangle far enough away from the circle that the back of the rectangle won't cross over that line.

It doesn't always work though.
Last Sunday....so two days ago, I saw a Semi successfully make its way around a roundabout near my place.
I say successfully in the fact that it didn't tip over. But it still ended up going on the sidewalk on the roundabout.
That was a scary thing to say. My thoughts were. "Oh man, I'm glad I wasn't walking where that semi's back wheels went."
I've had a couple of close calls before though. With buses, when they're turning corners. Sometimes their back wheels don't have enough room to stay on the road...and end up hoping onto the sidewalk.
How buses and semi-trucks turn corners without tipping over I'll never understand lol.

Perhaps its the grace of god that allows the rectangles to stay upright instead of tipping over when making a turn? Now that's a thought.....
And here's another one that I'm currently working through since writing this post made me think about it.

In life we have to take chances, pick roads, make turns, go in circles perhaps in order to get to our 'end destination' wherever you believe that might be.

Now Imagine that you're a bus, or perhaps a semi-truck.
Its pretty easy to just follow your life path when, say you're driving on the highway, or perhaps on a city street.
On streets you might hit red lights...bumps in the road, even construction. But its usually not anything difficult to navigate. On freeways if you end up taking the wrong exit you can almost always get straight back on.
But then there are times when things could go wrong....
Especially on hills. When you loose your brakes. And you're speeding out of control down a mountain canyon.
You could say that at that particular moment you've found the slippery slide of the devil and he's pulling you quicker and quicker to the molten lava below, and you can only imagine disaster at the end of the road......until you see a sign "Runaway Truck Ramp."
Those usually lead up hill right? They slow your momentum. Give you a safe place to 'crash' without totally destroying your vehicle. Then comes a tow truck to bring you safely to a place where you can fix your brakes before continuing on your journey...hopefully in the right direction, now that you've had a 'brush' with death, knowing that you can run into trouble in life and that you do need help.

When you make a turn, you usually have to move the front of your vehicle further out around the corner so that the back of the vehicle passes by that curb without hitting it.

Now...that could go both ways.
You could say that we 'swing out' so far from curbs because we're following Christ. The road, the ability to turn is the agency of every human being. Sometimes we make the turns too wide and risk hitting other people on their life paths. This could I guess be called pride. You're confident that you can't hit the curb (Satan), but you risk yourself and others when you swing too wide.
Yet...perhaps you're too humble? Or maybe a better way to put it would be that you're.....confident....lol I guess I should just say Prideful again. Thinking to yourself "I don't need to swing out too widely." and you end up running your back tires against the curb, or even up over the sidewalk, risking the chance that you could tip your vehicle over, or harm pedestrians nearby.

The problem here would be confidence. "I can make it. I can avoid it." But can you do that  by yourself?
Perhaps yes. at some points you can.
But at others...maybe you need a little nudge to move in a way that won't harm people. At other times when you find yourself on the 'wrong path' and you're making a dangerous turn around a roundabout with your trailer tilting. Perhaps through the help of Christ.....his hands on the side of the trailer pushing it back to an upright position we can find a way with help back onto the right path.

I guess you could compare life to a slippery hill.
If you stop moving....you just fall backwards.
If you run too fast you tire yourself out....and end up going backwards as you try to recover.
Perhaps I'm just trying to say that in life....there's a happy medium.
You don't need to be stopped, but you don't have to run full throttle  to get to your destination.
Sliding backwards,Stopped, Slowest, Slower, Slow, Medium, Fast, Faster, Fastest. We each have our own 'happy medium' perhaps my medium is faster then yours, or slower then yours. Each person moves about the world in a different way but we all are still moving in some way.
Yet we all have to make turns, go around in circles. And rely on faith that we won't totally crash/tip over/ and burn for straying slightly off the set path.....

Hopefully that made some sort of sense. Otherwise, it was a fun convoluted ramblings. lol I do that sometimes. ;)

I think the key to this is: We can find help from others size XS or to size XXXL. We just have to look for it. More often then not, its the XS things that go unnoticed. Unthanked. Unappreciated.
Try to avoid the curb, but don't hit oncoming traffic either when you make your turns.

Until you next see these words;
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment