Saturday, February 20, 2021

The Nighttime Deaths

 So.

You know the other day where I said I'd gotten some goldfish for my Daddoo....and one of them ended up losing an eye within 24 hours of me buying it and placing it in my tank?

And then I like...separated the fish out into a little breeder net...you know....just to make sure the fish could recover and be safe?

And I was like...debating about whether or not to keep the fish?

Well...an...update....on that.

So. Wednesday.

I had the day off. Would be home all day.

Figured that would be a good day to place the One-Eyed Goldfish back in with the rest of my fish. As I could monitor it throughout the day and make sure that no other fish were picking on it. 

And for all appearances. 

Things were fine.

Until I turned off the light apparently.

Because Thursday...after I got home from work...and turned on the fish lights...

What did I find? 

The One-Eyed Goldfish had died.

*exhales* :( :( :( :(

Beh. I thought it had been doing just fine in the tank! But perhaps I tried to reintroduce it too early? Perhaps there's just a fish somewhere in my tank that gets aggressive at night? Who knows.

In any case.

I learned my lesson. If I get another fish injured...not gonna put it in my tank again. 

And since I was still within the guarantee at my work...I returned the poor dead fish back and exchanged it for a Black Moor Goldfish for my Daddoo as he said if there weren't any other more unique colored goldfish available that he'd want a Black Moor instead. The darkest one I could find.

Which pressure there. Who knows if the one I actually ended up picking out is 'dark enough' but at least the fish has all it's fins and is a nice solid color soooo here's hoping that Daddoo likes it.

And I wasn't planning to put that goldfish in the main tank, no I was planning to keep the new black moor in the little breeder net box in the tank along with the two other tiny goldfish Daddoo had had me buy originally.

Which would leave two of the oranda goldfish for my Daddoo and the one oranda goldfish I bought for myself still freely swimming around my tank for me to catch later on. 

So. I get the Black Moor Goldfish home right?

Put it in it's little breeder area so I could keep him separate.

And then I proceeded to look in my tank for the other three oranda goldfish freely swimming around my tank.

....Only to discover the half eaten corpse of one of them sitting on the bottom.

Another one of Daddoo's fish had been killed during the night! 

GAH.

Like....obviously I have a goldfish killer in my tank...but at the same time I'm so confused as to how I have a goldfish killer in my tank because before buying these fish for my Daddoo I already had 4 goldfish in my tank. A regular Comet, an Oranda, A Black Moor, and a Ryukin.

Like...they've all been doing just dandy. The comet and oranda have been in my tank for like...a good year and half...two years now? It's been a while. And the other two have been at least...six months to a year? So again it's been a while. 

And within a week I suddenly have 2 of the new smaller orandas die?

It's fishy.

Like...at the same time I did add in some more dwarf gouramis and danios to increase the schools there.

But neither one of those fish are known to be aggressive to my other fish...they tend to focus on their individual schools and picking on each other. Not on other fish.

And yes....I do have Angelfish, Bala Sharks, and some Bolivian Rams within my tank as well....but again....I haven't seen them picking on my other fish.

*exhales*

I'm just...confused.

I'm guessing that the fish just sensed those two weren't....healthy? Injured in some way? Sick? Who knows...and just...went after them?? 

It's frustrating because here I am trying to do something nice for my Daddoo and get him his fish while the weather was bad and keep them for him until the weather is good and we can meet up....and now two of his fish have died.

XP 

I wasn't about to let a third happen, so I pulled the two remaining orandas--Daddoo's last and the one I bought for myself out of the main tank and placed them too into the breeder net for safety until I can get them all over to Daddoo's.

Even the one I bought for me.

Because if something is killing my orandas...I'm not letting them get the last two. Nope nope.

But because I lost one of Daddoo's orandas...that meant I needed to replace that one as well.

And I knew the fish shipment should be arriving in the store today. Should have been there first thing in the morning. So i figured I could just nip on over, return the second dead fish, and then pick out a new oranda for Daddoo and he wouldn't ever know.

Unfortunately.

The truck had been delayed longer than expected....and so was still a couple of valleys away from us with no firm timeline on when it would actually be in the store. XP Foo.

So I had to call Daddoo and ask what he wanted, as the remaining goldfish I had were the boring orange ones and he's been looking for some more unique coloration.

We basically agreed that he would take in my goldfish I had bought for me....and then I would keep an eye out for more unique coloration in the fish when they come in. 

So yah....

It's been a bit of an adventure this past week with my tank. XP 

But now I know.

Not a good idea to add anymore goldfish in at this time. I'll stick with other fish. 

Until you next find these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment