Saturday, May 1, 2021

Need a Leash?

You know how people got (and still get) offended about being asked to wear masks?

Well...

Today I had a customer come into the store...without a mask on...which has been a rather common occurrence since my state lifted it's mask mandate. People think that since the mandate is lifted that they can completely ignore the signs saying "Mask Required" that are posted like...everywhere in our store and walk around.

Which they're able to do because our DM has directed us to basically have masks up front and keep the signs up but like...not to push anyone about wearing a mask beyond maybe telling them that we require masks in the store and direct them to the ones up front. 

In any case.

I actually wasn't approaching the customer today in regards to their maskless face.

No since the mandate ended I haven't really brought it up because a) I'm tired of being yelled at and b) I'm tired of the stress that comes with approaching said anti-maskers.

No.

I was approaching this guy in regards to his dog.

Why?

Because said dog wasn't on a leash.

And funnily enough...we require dogs to be leashed or contained in the store.

So either they have a leash...or you have the pup contained in a cart or in a carrier or something.

You can't just have the dog running around willy nilly for a variety of reasons but overall it falls under the category of 'safety' we don't want that dog getting hurt, or any other dog, creature, person getting hurt in the store because someone couldn't control their little fuzzy child.

So I asked the customer if he had a leash for his dog as they're required to be on a leash in the store.

and the dude was like "He jumped out of the cart."

Which funnily enough...the cart -our mini verson- that he'd grabbed has this nice "DO NOT PUT ANIMALS IN CART" sign on it that he too chose to not follow just like all the "Mask Required signs"

Said small carts have those little 'do not put pets in here' signs on them because the sides are much shallower than our regular sized carts and therefore make it super easy for animals to jump out of said carts and possibly hurt themselves in if the pet parent isn't paying attention. 

I was like "Okay" Cus I wasn't going to bring up the fact the cart clearly said "do not put your dog here." on nor was I going to bring up that "hey masks are also required here." 

No.

All I said was "Okay, but just in case the dog jumps out again, can I grab you a temporary leash to wear?" 

Because again. Dog needed to have a leash or be contained in some manner and the cart obviously wasn't going to do that since the dog apparently already jumped out once (if said dog was even in the cart in the first place)

But like...it would be easier to just have the dog on a leash and you hold said leash so doggie can wander around without wandering around too far from the owner....

However...the dude didn't take a leash.

No he legitimately picked up said puppy and walked right out of the store without another word. 

Like dude....I didn't say you couldn't have your dog in the store. Only that you needed to have a leash. And that I could go grab a temporary one for him.

*shakes head*

I thought he was just taking his dog back out to the car to leave it there and then come back to do shopping. But nope. Dude never reappeared.

And it just...like reminded me of the whole 'anti-masker' issue we've been having.

People don't like being told they can't do something.

And while we occasionally get the customer that gets upset at us for not letting their furry child have free reign of the store....

It wasn't something I had paralleled to the anti-maskers until today.

Like...it was a similar response to "Masks are required to be worn in the store, I can grab you one." Where I've had customers just leave. 

But with a dog.

Like dude. I was just asking you to leash your dog.

I wasn't even bringing up the fact that you should be wearing a mask as well....

*shakes head*

Got to wonder what he was thinking. Because I can't see why what I said would trigger him to just pick up the dog and leave....

Until you next find these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment