Monday, July 1, 2013

April 1995 General Conference Sunday Afternoon


L Tom Perry -An Elect Lady
  • Statistics show that strong marriages produce strong families.
  • Her kind and loving spirit was contagious.
  • Always maintained a balance between her two eternal callings--those of wife and mother.
  • Motherhood is the noblest and greatest of all callings.
Richard G. Scott -Finding Forgiveness
  • Five essential elements of repentance.
    • Sorrow for sin.
    • Abandonment of sin.
  • "Repentance is a thing that cannot be trifled with every day. Daily transgression and daily repentance is not ... pleasing in the sight of God."
    • Confession of sin.
  • Please understand that confession is not repentance. It is an essential step, but is not of itself adequate. Partial confession by mentioning lesser mistakes will not help you resolve a more serious, undisclosed transgression.
    • Restitution for sin.
    • Obedience to all the commandments.
  • I would add a sixth step:
    • Recognition of the Savior.
  • "It is unthinkable that God absolves serious sins upon a few requests. He is likely to wait until there has been long, sustained repentance."
Bonnie D. Parkin -Celebrating Covenants
  • Heaven's emphasis is on each individual, on every single person.
  • Covenants keep us new.
  • "A scripture a day keeps Satan away."
  • My covenants are an expression of my faith; they are why I stand before you today. Covenants help me focus on the big picture and not just the immediate.
  • My covenants are not negotiable. They make the choice of righteousness easier.
Andrew W. Peterson -Easter Reflections
  • "We love you. We want you to feel comfortable around us. We want you to feel like we are family."
  • God hat not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. Be not thou therefore ashamed of the testimony of our Lord.
  • Jesus is my light.
Legrand R. Curtis -A Table Encircled with Love
  • "At the heart of society's fatal sickness is the instability of the family.
  • All family members would be wise to make certain that each person present has a chance to talk and ample opportunity to participate.
  • What could be of more importance to the unity of the family, the spiritual growth of the family, the bridges built between members of a family as they talk, listen, and respond, surrounded by love? Our major success is simply trying--over and over.
  • "I pray that we might treat each other with more kindness, ore courtesy, more humility and patience and forgiveness.
  • "If you treat [an individual] as he is he will stay as he is, but if you treat him as if he were what he [could] be and [might] be, he will become what he ought to be."
  • "Our church buildings are not the only places where we can worship."
  • "There should be no other place where the Spirit of the Lord is more welcome and more easily accessible than in our own homes."
Dallin H. Oaks -Apostasy and Restoration
  • The purpose of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is to help all of the children of God understand their potential and achieve their highest destiny. This church exists to provide the sons and daughters of God with the means of entrance into and exaltation in the celestial kingdom. This is a family-centered church in doctrine and practices.
Gordon B. Hinckley -We Have a Work to Do
  • There are no assignments made to any of the speakers concerning what they should say. And yet they all fit together in a pattern that is beautiful and wonderful.
  • Each of us can do a little better than we have been doing. We can be a little more kind. WE can be a little more merciful. We can be a little more forgiving. We can put behind us our weaknesses of the past, and go forth with new energy and increased resolution to improve the world about us.
  • We have work to do, you and I, so very much of it. Let us roll up our sleeves and get at it, with a new commitment, putting our trust in the Lord.
General Young Women's Meeting

Virginia H. Pearce -Trying the Word of God
  • "Nourish the desire to read. Do some things that will keep you reading and help you to understand in new ways."
  • Your daily discouragements will be replaced with a knowledge of how much God loves you.
  • Every song, every scripture read, every story told, and all counsel given tonight is meant to encourage each of us to:
    • (1) Make an individual decision to read the words of God, to understand more ways to
    • (2) Nourish and enjoy scripture reading, and to
    • (3) recognize the good feelings and changes that eventually come with regular scripture reading.
  • In Alma's words, to:
    • (1) give place,
    • (2) nourish,
    • (3) feast.
Bonnie D. Parkin -Fat-Free Feasting
  • Did you know that the Lord doesn't expect us to diet? Trust me! Turn to 2 Nephi 9:51. Now look at the very last line. "It says, "Let your soul delight in fatness." But feast on what? Chocolate?
  • Look closely: Feast on his word.
  • I still hunger for their wise words. Why not gain some spiritual weight?
  • It's not always easy, and there are things I still don't understand. But when I look past all that, craving the Lord's companionship, the scriptures infuse my spirit with the Spirit.
Janette C. Hales -"Ye Shall Feast upon This Fruit"
  • The scriptures have been given to us to help us find peace and reassurance in times of crisis, to help us find solutions to our everyday challenges, to strengthen us in times of temptation.
Melanie Eaton -The Reward Is Worth the Effort
  • I have found that no matter how hard it was to run a race or finish a tough practice, nothing beats the satisfaction I get from knowing that I didn't give up.
Andrea Allen -Trust in the Lord
  • She needed and still needs of the substance I can impart: my friendship and my testimony.
Hilarie Cole -He Will Be There to Help
  • We are all different. Each of us has been given talents as well as challenges.
  • If ye will have faith in me  ye shall have power to do whatsoever thing is expedient in me.
Karen Maxwell -Being Leaders Who Foster Growth
  • "You can create a climate to foster growth, nourish, and protect; but you cannot force or compel: you must await the growth.
  • "Do not be impatient to gain great spiritual knowledge. Let it grow, help it grow, but do not force it or you will open the way to be misled."
Thomas S. Monson -A Time to Choose
  • It has been said that the young want t change the world-and the old want to change the young!
  • Oh, the dreams of our youth! How beautiful and how perishable they are.
  • What can I do to insure my eternal joy?
    • First, study diligently.
    • Second, choose carefully.
  • Young women, choose carefully your friends, for they help to determine your future.
  • "Which path should I take?"
  • "That depends on where you want to go. If you do not know where you want to go, it doesn't really matter which path you take."
    • Third, pray fervently.
    • Fourth and finally, act wisely.
  • Take the Lord as your guide. Do not lend a listening ear to the persuasive voice of that evil one who would entice you to depart from your standards, your home-inspired teachings, and your philosophy of life. Rather, remember that gentle and ever genuine invitation from the Redeemer, "Come, follow me."
Gordon B. Hinckley -The Light within You
  • I promise you that as you read, your minds will be enlightened and your spirits will be lifted.
  • some of you may feel that you are not as attractive and beautiful and glamorous as you would like to be. Rise above any such feelings, cultivate the light you have within you, and it will shine through as a radiant expression that will be seen by others.
  • You need never feel inferior. You need never feel that you were born without talents or without opportunities to give them expression. Cultivate whatever talents you have, and they will grow and refine and become an expression of your true self appreciated by others.
  • In summary, try a little harder to measure up to the divine within each of you.
Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

I was in an old tree house. But not just any tree house. It was an actual home set up in the tree. From the outside it didn't look like anyone was living in there, but when I climbed up the ladder inside, I saw a ton of birds. The place had been made into one giant aviary, with lots of hangers and poles and other house hold items converted into perches. I picked my way carefully through the place and realized...people were living here too. I didn't understand it. Why would they live in the filth of a bird aviary. But when I looked back. The birds were gone. It was just a home. The kids living there were anxious to show me around the place. And I discovered many secret passage ways and hidden rooms. Then I found a staircase that led up to a small attic place. I didn't see much when I climbed, but I heard. Johnny Depp and that really sarcastic/critic guy from that one episode of Psych where the judges are making fun of American Idol..yah him. Though I think he was a famous author like Orson Scott Card or something....were up there playing games and watching tv. I didn't want to bug them so I went back down the stairs feeling rather immature compared to them. Johnny Depp eventually came downstairs as well and I talked with him for a bit. Mostly about how Orson dealt with the hundreds of telephone calls -if he's in the middle of something he'll ignore it. If he's not doing anything he'll pick up and talk to him. Johnny does a really great impression of him. Things shifted slightly and we were suddenly all going to go out to play games -like poker or something. I told him that I couldn't. He asked why not. I said because I had work in the morning. He responded by saying "what fun is it to not stay up late and party with your friends? So I caved and signed up for a slot at midnight -when I should have gone to bed an hour before. Only, I ended up falling asleep anyways and missing the party. So my responsible self won out. I felt horrible afterwards for not being where I said I would be, but I had to get to work. Along the way I ran into Mirleki and offered her a ride. Only she was being odd. Whenever I mentioned some sort of plan, she'd immediately set out by herself to accomplish the task. Like I said I would be going to the school. Mirleki said she'd want to go to, only she wanted to grab her laptop first. I said alright and she immediately hopped out of the car -we were stopped at a red light. Ran across the four lanes of traffic and started walking to her apartment to get her laptop. ....when I was planning on dropping by the apartment anyway. So I drove to the next light, turned left, picked her back up and we continued on to the apartment. lol things like that. She go to do it by herself without asking if I would give her a ride there or something. I mean, if the plans change usually I go along with it and would have driven her to her apartment not met her at the school. In any case....

then the unholy tones of daylight pulled me away....
and I became myself again. :)

-S.N.D

No comments:

Post a Comment