Saturday, May 7, 2016

In the Nick of Time

It's been a while since I've had this happen on my day off of work.
Where I stay up really late, because I can, because I don't have to get up early in the morning....

Only to be called by work....in the morning, to see if I can come in to cover a shift of a coworker.

It's rare, especially when I'm getting my max hours, since big bosses don't like handing out overtime.

But that's exactly what happened.
I stayed up til like 2 or 3 am...
And at like 9:45am....I got a call from work.
-Which to be honest isn't that early, I've gotten calls at 6am before after staying up til 3. Amazing that I could hear my phone and answer it.

In any case.
I was confused as to why they were calling me.
Because I had my max hours already scheduled for the week.
Having me cover any shifts would mean anywhere from 4-8 hours of overtime....
-Which they have approved off on occasion when they were desperate. Aka absolutely nobody else could come in.

This was one of those days apparently.
Where they'd called absolutely everyone.
And finally decided to call me.

The difference being that I would just be switching my days off.
I would cover this day,
and then the next day when I was supposed to work, they'd find someone to cover that shift.

Admittedly, I doubted it would work out like that. More than likely I'd end up working 6 days in a row and get overtime.

Still I agreed to it.

Got ready.
Drove into work.
And literally, as I pulled into my spot and turned off the car....
I got a call from work.

Confused I answered it, ready to say "I'm here, don't worry I'm here." As I wondered if they thought I should have been there sooner.

But no....
The manager was calling to say that a couple of the other people they had called earlier, and gotten no response from, had shown up to cover the shift.
So the manager was wondering if we could cancel me covering the shift.

lol. I doubted he realized how close I am to work.
And that I was already there.

And while I had been halfway looking forward to having the next day off ....
I was perfectly fine with not coming into work on my day off either.

So I said sure. It was fine.
Turned on my car, and pulled out of the parking lot. And went home. To relax.

lol. I halfway expected the manager to call as soon as I got home to say "Never mind, we really need you." But no....
It didn't happen.

The manager was probably totally clueless that I'd been in the parking lot when he called. lol.
And I'm not in any hurry to let him know.
No need to guilt trip needlessly. :)

Until you next see these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment