Sunday, October 9, 2022

Wait...What's Going On Here?

 I've been thinking off and on about communication this past week.

Just...it's been one of those weeks where I've said something I've thought clearly stated what I needed help with only to realize later on that I only gave partial information in the heat of the moment. 

Most of this realization has happened in regards to work things....since I don't actually interact much with people outside work (yay introvert).

But it's the sort of situation where I've realized that I need to give a bit more detail to situations at work. 

Like one where I requested a back up cashier as I was stuck trying to get a customer on register 2 to comprehend why the dog muzzle they were trying to buy for their dog would not fit and that we did not have any other smaller sizes of the style that they wanted in stock nor did we carry a smaller size.

And I'd requested twice to have someone come back me up....only no one ever came to be the third cashier and I was feeling the pressure from the next customer standing at register 2 paitently waiting for me to finish with the other customer. 

But my coworkers had just seen 2 cashiers at the registers with only one other person in line for each register. So despite the couple of calls I made, no one came up to back up cashier because i hadn't explained that "Hey, I'm dealing with a customer on 2 that's taking a bit, can someone please third cashier?" 

And like I had a similar thing the other day where the curbside pick up was going off but I was busy helping a customer and trying to have a coworker show me what the issues some of the cats were having and I called my VP Manager over the radio to go do the curbside as I figured he was the free-est out of everyone to go grab that.

And he just sounded really miffed over the radio that HE had to do it. Because i basically had just said "Hey VP can you get that curbside" without explaining I was busy.

So like. I'm trying to keep that in mind to give a bit more detail when requesting aid. Though it's a bit of a two edge sword because a lot of my coworkers have issues listening to what's being said over the radio so I often have to repeat myself. But yah....been trying to do a bit more explaining when I request help somewhere.

Along that same "Clarification" vein.

I got a text from my step-mom the other day. Asking me if I would like to join her, my dad, and my grandma for lunch next week.

Which. I would be down for lunch.

EXCEPT. The place they wanted to have lunch at is in a DIFFERENT STATE. It's like an hour long drive to and from this place that they want to go eat at.

And considering it takes like an hour for me to drive up to my dad's house.

The concept of at least 4 hours of driving (if they didn't detour elsewhere) to grab food from one specific restaurant....was NOT appealing at all. 

It just seemed stressful. And I know from experience that I have a way higher chance of triggering a migraine if I drive anywhere for longer periods of time. Like I can get a migraine triggered just driving between my house and my dad's house.

So like the chances were pretty high for me to get a migraine and I didn't see it being worth it to drive to a food place that honestly....I wasn't very impressed with in the first place.

Like yes. Family time is great. But with how burned out I've been and such....it seemed like it would just drain me further and cause me more problems than less.

Especially because I would have no idea HOW LONG this drive up to the restaurant and back home would take. Cus like I'm aware that the leaves in the canyon are changing colors and such and what if Dad and everyone wanted to meander their way back. 

The fact that I didn't have an actual timeline....and the fact that I definitely didn't have the spoons to spend ALL day having to be social.....

I ended up declining my step-mom's invitation. Though I did offer to meet up a different day in Hometown to have dinner at one of the restaurant places there. 

BUT.

Yesterday, I ended up briefly seeing my Daddoo at the church because my sister had her baby shower yesterday and he'd gone over to help Step-Mom set up and such.

And as he was leaving he was like "I was really sad to hear you weren't going to join us to see the leaves in the canyon. I would have had you sit up front with me. We could have grabbed lunch at [restuarant])

And....

I just kinda felt like screaming?

Because I had wondered if seeing the canyon leaves was part of this 'go grab lunch' deal.

But StepMom had mentioned NOTHING about seeing the leaves.

And honestly if I'd been asked "Hey, we're going to go see the leaves in the canyons this week and maybe grab lunch in 'this city' too." that sounds so much more appealing than "Hey! We're having lunch at this place that's TWO HOURS away from you. You want to come!?" 

So like.

A bit more clarification on just what we would have been doing would have helped so much. And like rephrasing rhe request could also have helped as well.

Overall...I'm not sure I would have done it anyways.

Because like I said. I'm burned out. I don't want to do anything. I don't want to be around people. I just want to hermit in my room and pretend no one else is around. 

Because I'm tired of people needing me.

But yah....

Communication. Sometimes rephrasing something or clarifying something helps clear up a lot of misplaced emotions and such....

Until you next find these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment