Saturday, August 6, 2016

A Different Light

It was one of those eye opening moments for me.

So, at work, I have this coworker.
I refer to him as "Special Puppy"
Because he's as eager as a puppy to do what you tell him to do. Energetic. Happy. Etc.
But.
He's so energetic and wanting to help out.
That his mind is going like a million miles a minute.....
And the words I tell him....well, you can see them bouncing off his head as you speak them.
It's an 'in one ear, out the other' sort of scenario.

Which isn't as frustrating as some of my other coworkers.
But frustrating all the same.

It's interesting.
Because my coworkers.
I really only see them at work.
In the work environment.
In their work clothes -though occasionally they come into work in street clothes.

But it's weird.
Because you build up this 'persona' of a person.
Based just off your interactions with them in a certain environment.

And then....
When you encounter them elsewhere.

It's jarring.
The pieces that you've constructed of the person aren't as complete as you thought they were.

And it's....
Different.
It's strange.

Because I've realized today.
That when you see people.
You don't always see them where they shine the brightest.

You don't always meet people when they're 'in their element.'

So you end up thinking that they're awkward or special or obtuse.....
But that's because you have them in an environment that isn't quite their zone.

If you haven't guessed....lol

I had this happen with me and my coworker today.

He's the sort of worker where I can see now that PetStore Coworker isn't who he truly is.
It's like a bird that isn't flying.
He's walking around, ungangly, flapping about, not quite fitting in.

And then....
You see him jump into the air and actually fly.
Soar.

And you see how incredibly graceful, acrobatic, skilled he actually is.

Tonight,
I went and saw my coworker fly.
As you see.
He was in a play and tonight was it's last performance.

I'd seen signs at work for a couple weeks that he was in a play.
But hadn't thought much about seeing it.
Because I only had 'Special Puppy' coworker to go off of.
And if it's occasionally awkward to be around him at work.
How much more awkward would it be to go watch him act for a couple of hours?

So I wrote it off and pushed it from my mind.
Until last night, when I happened to be in the same building -albeit for a different reason- as his performance. And saw him walking around in costume.

I was intrigued.
But not intrigued enough to consider seeing the play.
Seeing him in costume was enough.

However,
At work today.
My head manager couldn't stop talking about the play.
as he'd seen it last night.
How amazing my coworker was.
How awesome the play was.
On and On and On.

And he was like "You really should go! Coworker would appreciate it a lot. He's amazing. Come on. You should go!"

I didn't say anything yay or nay about it.

But hearing how amazing he was....from a manager who's pretty hard to 'amaze.'
It got my curiosity piqued.

So.
Tonight.
I dropped by the ticket office.
And they still had tickets!

So I bought myself one,
And saw my coworker's final performance of that play.

Wow.
Just.
Wow.

It nearly was like a night and day difference.
A bird on the ground vs a bird in the air.

He was amazing.
He could act.
Could SING!

It was just....wow.

Wow.

Until you next see these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

Speaking of other Wow events.
THE OLYMPICS!!
I'm sad that I didn't get to see the opening ceremonies, but I'm excited to hear and see what I can of all the events!!
Good luck Olympians!!! Stay safe and have fun!!

Like in past years. Here's the Medal Tally!

5 -United States: 1 Gold    4 Silver
5 -Japan              1 Gold                     4 Bronze
5 -China                             2 Silver    3 Bronze
3 -Australia        2 Gold                     1 Bronze
2 -Hungary         2 Gold 
2 -Korea             1 Gold    1 Silver
2 -Italy                              1 Silver    1 Bronze
1 -Argentina      1 Gold
1 -Belgium        1 Gold
1 -Russia           1 Gold
1 -Thailand       1 Gold
1 -Vietnam        1 Gold
1 -Brazil                           1 Silver
1 -Denmark                      1 Silver
1 -Indonesia                     1 Silver
1 -Canada                                         1 Bronze
1 -Spain                                            1 Bronze
1 -Poland                                          1 Bronze
1 -Uzbekistan                                   1 Bronze

No comments:

Post a Comment