Sunday, October 8, 2017

10 Minute Snooze

I tried a different style of writing today.
As often, it takes me forever to write out stories and such.
It involves a lot of thinking, a lot of plotting, a lot of messing with scenes and words and pacing to make the story feel and say and do what you want it to. 

And while writing there's often moments where my mind stutters to a stop, as I try to figure out a) how to say the next lines or b) figure out what scene I want the next lines to have. 

Which can lead to me surfing around the internet as I try to think of a solution that will work.

So.
I figured...why not take my need to kinda surf around while thinking on what to write next...and put it to some use.

And it starts with my phone.
Because my phone has an alarm clock on it. (I use it to get up in the morning.) 
And said alarm has a snooze feature that lasts 10 minutes. (if there's a way to change the length I haven't yet figured out how) 
So I decided that I would set an alarm for ten minutes later.
Opened up a word document of one of the stories I wanted to work on. And worked on it. For ten minutes.
Then my alarm went off. I hit snooze. Giving me another ten minutes. 
I didn't continue with the story though, nope. I opened a different word document to another story idea and switched to working on that one for the ten minute time frame.

And when the alarm went off?
You guessed it. :) I hit snooze and switched to another story.
Lol I ended up working between four different stories for a couple of hours. And I made some progress on all of them! Woot! 
lol it's nothing too crazy. Just a page or three depending on which story I was working on. (as some are more difficult than others.) 

But it did help me feel soo progressive! lol. 
Admittedly I could only keep it up for a couple of hours before I grew tired of the time limit. So after that point, after I turned off the alarm, I would continue writing, and then switch whenever I got stuck. Whether that was a minute or twenty. 

I managed to finish a couple chapters doing that. So woot!!

It's definitely a concept I'll have to try again the next time I have a moment to write, and see if I can keep my divided focus focused on writing if not writing from the same story the whole time. :D 

Until you next see these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment