Thursday, October 12, 2017

The Seat Belt Moment

When our oldest daughter, Jen, brought her third daughter home from the hospital, I went to her home to help.
After getting her oldest daughter off to school, we decided that what Jen needed most was rest.
So the best help I could give was to take her daughter Chloe home with me so her mom and new baby sister could have some quiet time.

I buckled Chloe into her car seat, secured my own seat belt, and drove out of their driveway.
However, before we reached the end of the street, Chloe had unbuckled her seat belt and was standing up, looking over my shoulder, and talking to me!
I pulled the car over to the side of the road, got out, and buckled her back into her seat.

We started again but had gone only a short distance when she was out of her seat again.
I repeated the same steps, but this time before I could even get back into the car and fasten my own seat belt, Chloe was already standing up!

I found myself sitting in a car, parked on the side of the road, having a power struggle with a three-year-old. 
And she was winning!

I used every idea I could think of to convince her that remaining fastened in her car seat was a good idea. 
She was not convinced!
I finally decided to try the if/then approach.

I said, "Chloe, if you will stay buckled in your car seat, then as soon as we get to Grandma's house, we can play with play dough."

No response.

"Chloe, if you will stay buckled in your seat, then we can make bread when we get to Grandma's house." 

No response.

I tried again.
"Chloe, if you will stay buckled in your seat, then we can stop at the market for a treat!" 

After three attempts, I realized this was a futile exercise.
She was determined, and no amount of if/then was enough to convince her to remain fastened in her seat. 

We couldn't spend the day sitting on the edge of the road, but I wanted to be obedient to the law, and it wasn't safe to drive with Chloe standing up.
I offered a silent prayer and heard the Spirit whisper, "Teach her." 

I turned to face her and pulled my seat belt away from my body so she could see it. 
I said, "Chloe, I am wearing this seat belt because it will protect me.
But you aren't wearing your seat belt, and you won't be safe. 
And I will be so sad if you get hurt."

She looked at me; I could almost see the wheels turning in her little mind as I waited anxiously for her response. 
Finally, her big blue eyes brightened, and she said, "Grandma, you want me to wear my seat belt because you love me!"

The Spirit filled the car as I expressed my love for this precious little girl.
I didn't want to lose that feeling, but I knew I had an opportunity, so I got out and secured her in her car seat.
Then I asked, "Chloe, will you please stay in your car seat?" 
And she did--al the way to the market for a treat!
And she stayed buckled all the way from the market to my home, where we made bread and played with play dough because Chloe did not forget!

As I drove back onto the road that day, a scripture filled my mind: "if ye love me, keep my commandments." 
We have rules to teach, guide, and protect children.
Why?
Because of the great love we have for them.
But until Chloe understood that my desire for her to remain securely fastened in her car seat was because of my love for her, she was unwilling to submit to what she considered a restriction.
She felt her seat belt limited her freedom.

Like Chloe, we can choose to see commandments as limitations.
We may feel at times that God's laws restrict our personal freedom, take from us our agency, and limit our growth.
But as we seek for greater understanding, as we allow our Father to teach us, we will begin to see that His laws are a manifestation of His love for us and obedience to His laws is an expression of our love for him. 

Carole M. Stephens -"If Ye Love Me, Keep My Commandments -October 2015 General Conference

Until you next see these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment