Tuesday, January 5, 2021

Busy Busy

Tuesdays are usually slow days at work. 

But for whatever reason....it went crazy today. 

Like crazy rush of people needing help all at once in the midafternoon. Where I was trying to balance helping a very needy pet parent with doing manager duties, backing up cashier, answering the phone, taking out curbside pick ups, and trying to assist in petcare as well.

It was crazy.

And I think that in some ways it may be a response to the potential events that will be happening tomorrow with the counting of the electoral votes. 

I was rather grateful for the customer crazy to die down towards the evening as I hoped that the last little bit where I was by myself as the closing manager that things would go smoothly.

They didn't.

Because I had a worker call in a couple of hours before work closed to say that they had a family member test positive for the virus and therefore they needed to go get tested....which meant that I needed to inform the department that they worked in that this worker would be out for the next couple of days and I had to scramble to inform the proper people in corporate as well as make sure that there was coverage for that section tomorrow.

And it was annoying. 

Because I asked an individual who was still at work if they would be able to come in and cover said shift to help out the other person at that point and they initially agreed. 

Only apparently after they left work, they called the other person they were going to be working with and indicated their concerns about working tomorrow with them. As the position they're both in is commission based and the worker didn't want to take away any potential earnings from the person scheduled for tomorrow. 

So the worker of tomorrow called the store to talk to the manager -aka me- to see if we could get any non commission people into the store to cover the shift instead because again they didn't want their earnings to be taken away and didn't want the other person who is also commission to be there for 'nothing'

So I ended up having to text -as I was informed the two people I could contact don't respond to calls- a couple of part timers to see if they could come in for a short shift tomorrow...and then had to wait for a response. 

Thankfully one of the people responded despite the late hour so I was able to get that shift recovered.

But ahhhhh stress. So much stress for what was supposed to be a mellow evening.

Until you next find these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment