Tuesday, January 26, 2021

Rotten Eggs

 It's always fun to get bombarded with problems as soon as I come into work. 

Today's situation was that my petcare people had noticed that the water in our fish wall was feeling cold.

And that the snails were acting like they were dead -though I figured they'd recover once the water warmed back up again.

I'd noticed that some of the tanks had been feeling cooler yesterday. 
But hadn't thought much about it as I'd been distracted with other tasks as well. 

Yet, if my coworkers were also noticing that the tanks were cold.

That either meant the filters hadn't been changed out recently. 

Or one of the heaters had kicked off. 

So once I got a chance to go check it out. 

I turned off the fish system so I could safely open our control panel and see if any of the switches had been triggered.

And found that 2 of our 3 heaters had kicked off. 

Meaning only 1 heater was working to try and heat our entire fish wall. 

But. 

Another switch had been flipped.

One of our 3 filter pumps...had been turned off. :S

Which. Not good to make the pumps work harder than necessary on such an old system. 

And it left me feeling rather guitly.

As our fish system has been indicating constantly that it was in the 'orange' meaning that something was wrong. 

But the last time I'd checked the control panel...nothing had been wrong.

However...it's been months since I last looked. 

Possibly a year. Who knows really. COVID makes time hazy. *exhales*

But the pump has been off for a while for sure. Months probably.

Because when I turned the system back on...a strong smell of rotten eggs permeated the area. 

Which meant that filter had been off for long enough for bacteria to fester. For something to rot. *exhales* 

So yah. That was fun dealing with first thing at work. 

But it's a lesson to be learned I suppose. 
To check and make sure that all the switches on the control panel are working whenever our system goes into the Orange instead of assuming that it was something I couldn't fix and just part of the quirk of the system. 

Now I just need to be careful to not become paranoid about it. 

Until you next find these words;
I'll be watching the leaves. 
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment