Monday, January 3, 2022

A Page A Day

 It's rather nice when you can derive a bit of joy/happiness from simple small things.

More often than not. During Christmas. Mother Dearest would gift us kids with a calendar for the new year. When we were younger the calendar would be just your typical wall one with the 12 months and a theme for each month that usually matched our likes/preferences/aesthetic in some way.

As we got older and page a day calendars got more popular, we would get a page a day calender.

Sometimes it was just one for the entire family that would live in the bathroom, but when we got old enough to move out of the house, the page a day calendar followed us out. Again, usually one that fit with what we liked and such.

This past year, my Godmother was the one to instigate getting a calendar and gave me a rather cute one with pictures of kitties for each day of the year.

Though...with my mental health kinda taking a sharp decline...I stopped paying attention to it back in like..April?? Idk. It's still downstairs. Untouched from whatever last date I had looked at.

But today when asking my Godmother how she was doing, she showed me the page from the page a day calendar I got her for today. It was one of those affirmation sort of calendars. Ones with feel good thoughts.

And I was just like "Hey. I want one of those. That would be fun to have."

Only...when I went on Amazon to order the same one for myself....it was no longer available.

It makes sense in a way lol. Why would you want a page a day calendar for 2022 when you're already 3 days into the year? It's the sort of calendar that you want to get BEFORE the year starts. Not after.

My first thought was "Oh well. Good thought but no dice." 

And I tried to move on from it.

But then I remembered. Barnes and Noble usually sells page a day calendars. In a variety of themes and topics. 

So like...why not go there after work today and check out what ones are leftover? Especially considering that I was pretty confident that they would be on a rather steep discount. After all. The year has already started. The sooner they sell those calendars the better because again...who wants a calendar for 2022 when the year has already started?

Still. It was a matter of convincing myself that I wanted to go out.

As usually after work I'm exhausted enough with social interaction that the thought of having to talk or interact with one more person after a day of dealing with customers....usually has me heading straight home to hermit.

The thing that worked in my favor today was the fact that I was starving by the time I got off work.

Starving enough to venture up to the nearby Arctic Circle to grab myself food.

And wouldn't you know? Barnes and Noble is in that same area. Right along the route to the food.

So I stopped by the store long enough to check out what calendars they had left.

And I was right.

They were on a sale. 50% off. 

Lol though I'm sure if I had waited another week or two they'd be closer to 75% off.

In any case.

There was still quite a good selection of calendars for me to choose from. Not a huge table by any means compared to what was probably there before the New Year hit. 

But there were still a good thirty or so different types of calendars to look at. (probably more honestly, I wasn't counting) 

And I managed to find like...4 calendars I liked. 

lol I probably could have stopped at 3 as I ended up deciding it would be fun to get a page a day calendar for me and my roomies.

But for some reason I got it stuck in my head that it was a buy one get one half off sale instead of it being like...them all half off...even though I knew all of them were half off. *shakes head* lol I guess I figured they could only be half off if I had them in even numbers?

Regardless.

I ended up with 4 page a day calendars. 

1. Is a Disney Animation calendar that I got for my roomie who's into Disney and is wanting to go into a career into animation.

2. Is a History: Unsolved Mysteries Calendar that honestly....I loved, but delegated it to my other roomie who likes the mystical/horror/unsolved things. 

3. Is a Harry Potter calendar as I've been in quite the obsession with the fandom for the past couple of months so I thought it would be fun to get (and it was such a wonderful surprise to find as I'd been hoping to find one but not expecting to a Harry Potter one so the fact I found one was GREAT) 

and lastly. 4. Is a word a day calendar.

Just one of those "here's a random word you may not have heard of and its meaning" calendars.

And the reason why I got that one...was because I remembered the last time...forever ago...like pretty sure I was still in the middle of college long ago when I was trying to do a 'writing blog' when I got this calendar....

And I remembered...that I tried to write little story snippets/scenes where I would use the word on the calendar somewhere within the story. 

It didn't last that long. I got a bit...overwhelmed.

But since I've been...well struggling to write since...well probably the summer if not the entire year of 2022....I thought that this might be a fun little thing to try. To get me back into writing. To boost my confidence a little bit.

Of course, I've already overthought the first three days worth of words so we'll see if I actually end up writing anything.

But I'm hoping that this 4th calendar I got will be helpful in the long run.

We'll see. 

^^;; If anything I'll be learning new words, discovering unsolved mysteries (as I convinced my roomie to leave her calendar in the kitchen where I too could see what has remained unsolved in the world) and lastly...enjoy a bit of Harry Potter in my life. ^^;; 

lol gotta love it when the simple things bring a smile to your face. :) 

Until you next find these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi


No comments:

Post a Comment