Thursday, January 13, 2022

Not a Chair

 It's not surprising that people will choose to sit on things that aren't meant to be sat on. 

I mean. I do it myself.

And I've seen multiple customers over the years sit on the floor, on lower shelves, on piles of doggy beds, on cat towers, on pallets....basically anything that has a flat enough surface to perch on as they wait for something whatever they're waiting for to finish up. 

Today I had a rather enterprising older gentleman.

Who was having difficulties seeing what the fish food on the lower shelf was. And he was old enough that crouching down probably would be a trial and a half on it's own not to mention trying to stand back up.

But instead of asking for assistance.

The dude decided to take matters into his own hands and upon spotting a pile of of our handbaskets nearby --as we have handbaskets located on the ends of most of our aisles for those shoppers who realize they're grabbing a bit too much to carry comfortably in their arms--- grabs the entire stack of baskets.

My cashier watched him rather dumbfounded when he picked up the entire stack and disappeared back down the fish aisle out of sight.

But when I came across him....he'd turned the entire stack upside down and had turned the stack into a makeshift stool that he was sitting on as he was inspecting like...every single can of fish food we had.

-He was looking for bloodworms, but unfortunately the freeze dried version is one of those 'shortage' products at the moment so there were none on the shelf. 

Not really wanting to get on the dude's bad side by telling him "Hey don't sit on those." I ducked behind our fishwall where we keep a little metal folding chair there for the occasional ancient customer who needs a seat while waiting for grooming and brought it over to the dude in the fish aisle and was like "Here sir, How about I switch you out for a better seat."

So I can save my baskets from getting crushed/warped by dealing with weight they're not meant to be dealing with. 

*exhales*

Thankfully the tactic went over well and he willingly switched to sitting on the chair.

But honestly.....while I admire the creativity.... I do wish customers would think of the bigger picture when they do the things they do.

Until you next find these words;
I'll be watching the leaves. 
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment