Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Where I'm From

So a while back, my parents went through the group/company called 23andMe to get their DNA tested to see where they're from genetically. Like which countries and such. 
But also to test and see if there were any genetic diseases and such that they could be carriers for and such. 

In any case.
I found it pretty cool to see where exactly my mom and dad were from. What percentages of which countries they had and such.

Which made me curious to see how much...of each side of my parents did I now carry in my DNA?
I mean, me and my siblings have some differences to us. Height, Eye Color, Hair Color etc. 
So I was like...how much of each country did we end up getting from our parents?

My parents were curious too and ended up getting all us kids a DNA test!
So we could see for sure how it all broke down. :D 

And finally after forever and a day of waiting.
The results came in. 

And my DNA states that I'm 100% European lol. 
Which is slightly disappointing as there was like .1% Native American and .1% African listed in my parents DNA. 
But I guess the amount is negligible enough that if us kids have any of that DNA within us...it's so small that it doesn't show up in the testing. lol.

So 100% European for all of us. ^^;;

Which breaks down for me into: 

British & Irish -59.2%
Scandinavian -7.1%
French & German -5.8%
Broadly Northwestern European -27.7% 
Broadly European -.2% 

-The Broadly meaning: It's from Europe but we don't have enough data to say exactly which countries -- if I understand it correctly.

But yah!
It's crazy because I have waaaaay more Bitish & Irish in me than my siblings.
But on the flip slide. They have waaaaay more French & German in their genes. In the 30-45% range.
While I'm only in 6% Range. lol. *shakes head* (now I know why they're both taller than me. lol)
I also have more Scandinavian oddly enough. The sibs are under 3% in their results. 
Crazily enough, my sister was the only one to show results from the Southern European portion of Europe. 

But! Overall.
It's just cool.
So cool.
That us kids could have such a variety of results...even though we come from the same set of parents.
It's kinda why I love the concept of genetics.
Because the results can vary so drastically between siblings. 

And!
It's fun because 23&Me provides pictures of your Chromosomes. 
(just cartoons not actual chromosomal pictures) 
That are colored to show which chromosomes have which ancestry in them. 
So I can look at them and be like "Oh hey, Chromosome 7 is mostly French & German, while Chromosomes 10 & 11 have Scandinavian in them."

Really it's cool. ^^ 
I've loved going through my results, comparing them to my siblings and just seeing which chromosomes are the most similar to each other and which ones are the most different. 

Genetics are fun.
Family history is fun.

It's just all so very cool!!! ^^ 

Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment