Thursday, November 5, 2020

Give Me Peace

It's one of those days where I realized I've reached the end of my figurative rope when it comes to dealing with people.

Which I could sense was coming on...because I've been dealing with a new cashier for the past couple of weeks...who has been...rather needy when it comes to cashiers.

This particular newbie has constantly been on the radio asking questions or asking for help. 

Things like "I need a back up cashier, a manager override, where is this, where is that, do we carry this, can I do this?"

Like....when it happens every five minutes....and I'm noise sensitive.

It gets on my nerves really really quickly.

And like I get it. Being new means you don't know everything.
But like...after two weeks...maybe three weeks now? An associate should have a general layout of the store. Where certain products are and such.

At least enough knowledge to not need to ask someone else everytime a customer asks them. 

And like...overall it was a lot better today. Dealing with this cashier.
But with how much exposure I've had with them over the past couple of weeks...just hearing their voice sets me on edge. 

That's not a good thing. And not something I can easily escape when this cashier seems to be the only available cashier for the morning shifts. Like...when you work 4/5 days with an individual....their quirks can get on your nerves real quick.

So having to work another shift with this cashier already had me not in a good mood even though they were asking a lot less questions today because we were finally able to get them to go explore the store and figure out where things are. 

However.

I also had one of my newer managers in to open with me. And while they mean well and have a lot of retail experience in other stores....they're still less experienced. So it's the sort of thing where I also had to answer a bunch of their questions too...

However they also like....forgot their listening ears today? Because it felt like everytime I would say something to them either in person or over the radio the other manager would be like "What?" "Huh?" "Did you need me?"

Add having to repeat myself multiple times along with having my cashier who is constantly asking questions....

I was ready to go home an hour after we opened for customers because they'd already gotten on my nerves.

*exhales*

But besides having to deal with that until lunch time....it was mostly a relief that the customers were behaving themselves overall so I could get my tasks done with minimal interruptions from them....if not from my coworkers....

Until lunch time.

It was the sort of situation where I was trying to go on lunch.

And of course that's exactly when everyone and their mom decides that they need my help.

*exhales*

It started with a customer who had already been dithering over at the fishwall for a good twenty minutes.

And of course they decide that they need my help only when I want to go eat food. *shakes head*

So I head over to help them out and discover not one but two customers over there.

The original customer and another new customer looking to get more algae eaters for their tank because they have a lot of algae.

So I catch the fish that the first customer wanted and send them on their way before tackling the second customer.

Who decided that they needed to be super indecisive because through talking with them I figured that they needed a snail to help with their algae problem.

Only the customer couldn't decide on which snail they wanted.

Like honestly it's a simple 'look at the tank pick one you like and I grab it" sort of situation. It shouldn't take longer than ten seconds. Maybe up to 30 seconds.

But no this customer. This customer wanted to know the differences between the snails, see all the different colors, ask about their live spans, ask about how well they eat algae, and ask a bunch of other questions that I honestly don't have a good answer for because most people don't care to ask.

And the customer was like "I'm going to look at these, but I think I saw another customer needing help" 

So like. I leave the customer and go see if I can find this other customer that needed help.

And find a lady needing help grabbing a parakeet.

-___- ugh. 

Of course she wants a freaking parakeet. Evil creatures. 

It's typical that whenever I try to go on lunch someone decides that they need a parakeet right then. XP Gah.

But noooo it's not just one parakeet.

No when I grabbed the paperwork and returned to begin filling out the info for the customer as they were deciding on their bird.

Another customer with their family came up to the cage and obviously not realizing I was in the middle of helping another customer tried to ask me questions about the parakeets.

Wanting to know if a bird they liked was a boy or a girl.

*exhales* I am so super tired of people being obsessed with their birds being boys or girls. Honestly. Unless you're planning to breed the birds it doesn't matter if you get two boys or two girls or a boy and a girl. 

People are so obsessed with boy/girl pairings for their birds. So obsessed.

And it honestly doesn't help that our birds are often too young to tell their gender. So I can't always give the customer a satisfactory answer on the gender of their birds.

I was able to confirm that the one bird this second customer wanted was a girl. But when they were wanting a boy too...I couldn't confirm that I had any. 

And all the while I'm trying to help the first bird customer who is now curious on if they have a boy or girl. -_- bleh. 

Thankfully I was able to catch their bird....only the first customer heard the 2nd customer talking about getting a second bird and was like "maybe I want a second bird." No. You. Don't. Just let me catch you one bird. Geez. 

They did decide on only one bird on the end so I was able to move them to the register and return to the second customers for their single bird.

But they pulled the same move as the first customer and were like "Maybe we want two birds instead of one."
and just like the first customer by the time I caught the original parakeet they wanted...they decided they only wanted the one. 

So I was able to finish with the parakeets after like 20 minutes...only to have to return to the snail customer.

Who still hadn't freaking decided which snail they wanted.

Like gurl. SERIOUSLY? GAH. 

It probably took another 10 minutes to get the customer to pick a snail and catch the goldfish she wanted before sending her on her way and finally enable me to go on lunch....a good 45 minutes later than I'd thought I'd be going on lunch for. XP 

So yah. I was irritated and so done with people. Especially since the needy customers continued to be indecisive and dither and waste my time for the rest of my shift. XP 

I was all to happy to clock out and go home.

It's bee a long. Long. Day. 

Until you next see these words;
I'll be watching the leaves. 
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment