Thursday, January 7, 2016

Are You There?

Experience teaches us that suffering is one of life's experiences that will come without seeking it.
If I may use a personal example:

Some years ago when our first son was about a year old, I was the source of some seemingly unnecessary suffering.
We were attending college, and one evening I had been playing with my boy on the floor.
I left the room to study, and as I closed the door behind me he apparently reached for me, raising his hand up behind his head, and his finger went in the hinged side of the door.
When I closed the door he suffered a rather severe injury to his finger.

We rushed him to the emergency room at the hospital, he was given a local anesthetic, and a doctor came in; assured us that it could be repaired.
Almost paradoxically, at that point the only thing my one-year-old wanted was to be held by his dad.
As long as he could see me he resisted an efforts to bind him for the delicate surgery.
When I left the room he calmed down, and the doctor was able to proceed.

During the process I was anxious and would draw close to the open door and look around the corner to see how things were proceeding.
Perhaps by some unseen sense, as I would peek noiselessly around the corner, which was located behind him and to the side, his head would come up and he would strain to see if I was there.

On one of those occasions, as I saw him with his arm pinned out from his side--his head arched, searching for his father--the thought came to my mind of another Son, His arms stretched out, nailed to a cross, searching for His Father, and to my mind came the words, "My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?"
What was a very traumatic moment in my life suddenly became very sacred.

-Keith R. Edwards -That They Might Know Thee -October 2006 General Conference

Until you next see these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment