Friday, January 1, 2016

How to Start the Year

There I was,
In the final minutes of 2015.
My roomies were in one of the bedrooms.
Chatting away.
And I thought that perhaps they might come out for the New Year.
They did not.

To my surprise just like 10 minutes before Midnight.
They came out.
Only to say they were heading to bed.
()_()
There's like 10 minutes left in 2015 and you want to go to bed!
Why sleep?
You can sleep in 10 minutes!
Come, ring in the new year!

But no, tired they were. Exhausted.
So before midnight.
They shut themselves in their rooms.
Called it a night.
And that was the last I saw of them in 2015.

All went silent.
And since I was the only one in the apt still 'awake.'
>.>
<.<
I'd decided to go for the dramatic.

Because I was sick, I'd stayed home for New Years Eve.
Didn't have the energy to go anywhere, and even if I did....
I had to work this morning.
So it wasn't like I could stay up all night anyways.

But that didn't mean I couldn't have my own meaningful start to 2016.

So.
I turned off all the lights.
Except for the single string of Christmas lights over our balcony window and the small tree next to it.
As the seconds ticked down.
I stepped into the cool night air.
Playing "At the Beginning" from Anastasia on my Ipod as midnight struck.
Sent a text to my family as I raised my homemade ceramic mug of Pineapple Soda into the air.
And toasted to the New Year in the quiet darkness of my apartment complex.
While off in the distance, fireworks lit up the sky.
Their delayed bangs echoing through the valley.

^^
It was a wonderful start to 2016.
I can only hope that each day is fantastic in its own way this year. ^^
Off to new Adventures!!

Until you next see these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment