Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Break Time

Like I mentioned yesterday. I had a short shift at work today.
That actually stayed as a short shift! Woot! lol I wasn't asked to stay late or anything! ^-^
Of course, that left me feeling rather....odd, walking out of the store just an hour and a half after we officially opened.
Lol admittedly I always feel like I'm sluffing from work when I get out before noon. Because it basically never happens.

In any case.
There was a slight problem with me leaving early.
In that my coworker needed to figure out when to take their lunch.
Because I was leaving so early in the day, if another person (like the manager) couldn't cover a lunch for my coworker, they would have to take a lunch suuuupppeeerrr early.
We usually like to try and take our lunches as late as possible. To make the rest of the work day go a bit quicker when we get back to lunch.

So whenever we have to take a lunch earlier than that....it's not a favorite for sure.
lol. Not my favorite thing for sure.

Though I can't always help it.
Sometimes the schedule demands the coworker goes home early.
-As usually it's my coworker leaving early meaning I have to figure out lunches.

Usually I circumnavigate this by taking my lunch first instead of my first break, and I'd take my 15 minute break later in the day. As it's easier for a manager to cover the dept for 15 minutes instead of the 30.

In any case.
On behalf of my coworker, I went in search of the manager to check in with them.
As if they needed my coworker to take a lunch before I left...they would need to do so within the next fivish minutes. But if they didn't need to worry about it...then no big deal, they could take it later.

Lol.
My manager was in the middle of helping a customer when I approached, (had been helping the customer for at least 15 minutes or so it felt like. which is a long time in retail time.)
And thankfully it seemed like they were finishing up the conversation.

So I started up my conversation with "So I'm off in half an hour."
To which the manager said. "Really?!"
To which I replied. "Yah! I got a short shift today!"
To which the customer was like. ()_() "But the store just opened like an hour ago! Didn't you just get here?"
Haha. I found that rather amusing. And wow, that would have been a super short shift if I'd been only asked to come in for an hour. :S (good thing that never happens unless someone is needed to just cover a lunch or something and usually it's managers that get that happening to them.)

I was quick to tell the customer that I'd been here for a few hours more than that.
"Doing what?!" they asked in confusion.
"Cleaning the cages and such." I replied. "We need to have the animals fed and such before the store opens."
"Ohhhh, they didn't do that when I was here." Was basically how the customer replied.

Which turns out the customer had actually worked at the store before.
O.O
like, way before I started lol because I don't remember her at all.
*shakes head*

She kinda confirmed it when she was like "Yah, I only worked here for two weeks. It was awful. The managers refused to train me on the register so I was constantly calling for back up and no one was coming to help me out, or show me what to do so I was winging it, and the managers were all just sitting in their office doing nothing."

Which thankfully, work isn't quite like that lol.
At least when you call for backup the managers will come. (mostly)

So I was like. "You must have been before I got here, as all but one of the managers got fired before I was hired."

She was like. ()_()

Yep. That's how it went. Though I only found out about that a little while later after I'd been working there for a month or so, that basically all my managers were new to the store as well.

lol.
In any case.
I did manage to establish with my manager that he would be able to cover my coworker's lunch so my coworker wouldn't need to take a lunch right that moment. Yay!
I like it when things work out in our favor. lol :)

Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment