Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Neon Green

I don't know if this is just a thing in my state or not, but we tend to joke that we have two seasons. Winter and Construction. lol. As with the fading of the snow....up pops all these annoying orange cones all over the roads. *shakes head*

Well...there's another thing that has returned with the fading snow and blooming flowers...
It's the Green 25mph signs.

So.
Back into summer of last year, I moved into a new place.
Where some of the neighbors are decidedly crazy.

One of these neighbors is...well...she's a bit of a speed Nazi.
You see, since it's a housing neighborhood the speed limit is understandably 25mph.

However, it's college town filled with college kids....
Plus my street has a nice 'country road' feel to it, along with a nice downhill slope...that makes staying at 25mph impossible without riding the brake multiple times.

But since it's a family neighborhood of sorts, with kids and such in the area. It's understandable that people want cars to drive the speed limit.
They've installed fancy electronic speed limit signs that flash annoying lights in your face if you're going 26 in the 25 zone.

Yet, we've had this one neighbor take it a bit further.
In that on large trash cans, they've place these bright neon green signs with large 25MPH written on them.
You can't miss them unless you're super tunnel vision.

I'd noticed them off and on when I first moved into my new place.
But with the winter storms and tons of snow....
Those signs vanished.
Really, I'd nearly forgotten them.
Until they appeared again a couple of weeks ago. *shakes head*

Maybe the neighbor figured that people would drive slower in cold weather and didn't need these speed limit reminders?
Or maybe the neighbor disappeared elsewhere for the winter and has now only recently returned back to their home?

Whatever the case.
The bright green neon signs have returned.
Reminding all passerbys that they should be obeying the speed limit law on that nice road that begs you to do anything but slow down. ;)
(Don't worry I go the speed limit though I really wish I could drive along it faster.)

However, what caused me to post about it today...
Is that as I was returning home from work.
I noticed that the neighbor had gone a step further.
Adding in bright orange cones in front of the garbage cans...you know to draw your attention to those bright neon green signs. *shakes head*

Honestly, passing between the two garbage cans on either side of the street with their cones and signs....it felt like I was passing through some sort of fence/barrier. So weird.
I almost expected to get electrocuted or something if I was going over 25mph.

Cementing that feeling further....
Was the woman in black standing on the side of the road. Hands crossed in front of her chest, head held high as she surveyed her domain, daring any to dare drive faster than her homemade signs had decreed.

Yes.
The neighbor was standing there. Watching cars driving past.
For hours.

Seriously.
I got home, and my roommates got home a couple of hours later to report that she was still standing out there! Who knows how long she'd been staring at her little gate zone she'd created before I drove past, or how long she stood out there after my roomies drove past....

Our neighbor needs to find a hobby that doesn't involve terrorizing passing by motorists.....

Until you next see these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment