Thursday, September 13, 2012

Not Connected Up

Several years ago, upon entering an electrical establishment, Elder James E. Talmage saw an impressive array of lamps, door chimes, and other electrical items.
And "having chosen a lamp, [he] turned the switch to test the ... light; but lo, there was no light.
The attendant told [him] that the lamps were there as an exhibit only, but were not connected up."

He reported, "I turned to the bells, but when I pressed a button I listened in vain for [a] responsive tinkle. And so with everything [else] in the shop--pleasing to look upon, some pieces artistic, all suggestive of usefulness, but, as displayed, they were [only] ornaments and nothing more, for they were not connected up."

Upon leaving the shop Elder Talmage thought, "A burning candle ... is worth more in terms of utility than the most elaborate of electroliers without the current."
Then a fitting parallel came to his mind of the "scriptural description of minds and souls darkened and deceived by outward appearances while devoid of spirituality: 'Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof.'

....Continuing with Elder Talmage, he said: "Men may ... erect church buildings--from humble chapel[s] to stately cathedral[s]--but [they are only] elaborate externals if they are not connected up with the source of divine wisdom and authority through the [current] of the holy priesthood ... [and the] vitalizing power of the Holy Ghost."

David B. Haight -Filling the Whole Earth -Apri1 1990 General Conference

Sometimes I wonder...how connected we are to other people. I mean today while crossing the street, I had a guy call out my name from one of the cars. I waved to them and smiled...but I couldn't see who it was because the sun was in my eyes when I turned back to the truck. Still. I've spent the day wondering how I'm connected to them. I assume it must be a 'good connection' because if it wasn't...I doubt the guy would have said hi to me. lol :)

Until you next see these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment