Monday, March 24, 2014

April 1999 General Conference Saturday Morning

Gordon B. Hinckley -The Work Moves Forward
  • We are a happy and blessed people, working to build the cause and kingdom of God on earth. Regardless of race or nationality, whether we be poor or rich, old or young, we meet to share our common testimony of the Lord, in whose name we worship.
  • This is a tremendous undertaking, with many problems, but no matter the difficulty, things work out and I am confident we will reach our goal.
L. Tom Perry -Teach Them the Word of God with All Diligence
  • "Seek not to declare my word, but first seek to obtain my word, and then shall your tongue be loosed; then, if you desire, you shall have my Spirit and my word, yea, the power of God unto the convincing of men."
  • Our teaching will be effective if we approach it humbly through prayer and study. We will then be assisted by the Spirit in imparting the word, consistent and in harmony with what the Lord would have us teach.
  • Most teachers never realize the full impact of their teaching.
  • A great teacher can make a great difference in a great many lives.
Joe J. Christensen -Greed, Selfishness, and Overindulgence
  • "The worst fear ... I have about this people is that they will get rich in this country, forget God and His people, wax fat, and kick themselves out of the Church. ... My greater fear ... is that they cannot stand wealth."
  • Our prosperity brings some real challenges because many are getting rich, more of us are waxing fat, and as a result of greed, selfishness, and overindulgence, we could lose the Spirit and literally kick ourselves out of the Church.
  • Money in and of itself is not an evil, but as Paul taught Timothy, it is the love of money that is the root of all evil.
  • First, we should not confuse wants with needs.
  • If we are not careful, it is easy for our wants to become needs. Remember the line "There, there, little luxury, don't you cry. You'll be a necessity by and by."
  • Second, we should avoid spoiling children by giving them too much.
  • A wise young mother said: "I choose not to give our children what I can afford to give them. I hold back for their sake."
  • "Children who always get what they want will want as long as they live."
  • All too many enter marriage who have never learned to cook, sew, or develop other important life skills. Ignorance of these needed skills, along with the lack of understanding of the management of money, so the seeds for many failures in our children's marriages.
  • I fear that in many cases we are rearing children who are slaves to expensive fads and fashions.
  • We would do well if in all these areas of material things we and our children would follow the oft-quoted motto of our pioneer forebears to "fix it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without."
  • Third, as we have heard so often, live modestly and avoid debt as if it were a plague.
  • Samuel Johnson said, "Do not accustom yourself to consider debt as an inconvenience, you will find it [to be] a calamity."
  • Financial consultants indicate that "most people have it all wrong about wealth. ... Wealth is not the same as income. If you make a good income each year and spend it all, you are not getting wealthier.  You are just living high. Wealth is what you accumulate, not what you spend."
  • Finally, be generous in giving and sharing with others.
Carol B. Thomas -Preparing Our Families for the Temple
  • We understood the importance of never discussing the temple outside the temple, not because the ceremonies were secret but because they were sacred. "They are kept confidential lest they be given to those who are unprepared."
  • New understanding comes as we prepare our families for the temple. May I share a few things I have learned:
    • 1. Going to the temple often provides balance in our lives.
    • 2. The spiritual atmosphere of the temple curbs our appetite for worldly things.
    • 3. The temple is a place of revelation.
    • 4. One of the biggest lessons I have learned is that Satan will try to keep us from going to the temple.
    • 5. The Spirit of Elijah is brooding in the land.
    • 6. In the temple the Spirit of the Lord provides comfort and peace, especially during moments of despair.
  • Each of us may ask ourselves, "How often should I attend the temple?" Our leaders will never tell us how often we should attend, because it is different for every person.
Jeffrey R. Holland -The Hands of the Fathers
  • In considering such beauty of the "at-one-ment" in that first Easter season, we are reminded that this relationship between Christ and His Father is one of the sweetest and most moving themes running through the Savior's ministry. Jesus' entire being, His complete purpose and delight, were centered in pleasing His Father and obeying His will. Of Him He seemed always to be thinking; to Him He seemed always to be praying. Unlike us, He needed no crisis, no discouraging shift in events to direct His hopes heavenward. He was already instinctively, longingly looking that way.
  • Dads, is it too bold to hold that our children might have some small portion of the feeling for us that the Divine Son felt for His Father?
  • Of even greater concern than the physical absenteeism of some fathers is the spiritual or emotionally absent father. These are fatherly sins of omission that are probably more destructive than sins of commission.
  • A young Laurel I met on a conference assignment not long ago wrote to me after our visit and said, "I wish my dad knew how much I need him spiritually and emotionally. I crave any kind comment, any warm personal gesture. I don't think he knows how much it would mean to me to have him take an active interest in what is going on in my life, to offer to give me a blessing, or just spend some time together. I know he worries that he won't do the right thing or won't say the words well. But just to have him try would mean more than he could ever know. I don't want to sound ungrateful because I know he loves me. He sent me a note once and signed it 'Love, Dad.' I treasure that note. I hold it among my dearest possessions."
  • Most fathers are wonderful. Most dads are terrific.
James E. Faust -This Is Our Day
  • This is our time, and it involves more than just looking at the clock.
  • Our awareness of time affects how we think and act.
  • An honorable man or woman will personally commit to live up to certain self-imposed expectations, with no need of an outside check or control. I would hope that we can load our moral computers with three elements of integrity: dealing justly with oneself, dealing justly with others, and recognizing the law of the harvest.
  • Religion is more than a ritual; it is righteousness.
  • In order to move forward spiritually we need to have the Savior's image in our countenances and in our hearts.
  • Undoubtedly, education unlocks the doors of the future for us. But we should be sure that our computers of faith are working so that we can constantly remain on the course of righteousness.
  • The marvels of modern science and technology will not exalt us. Indeed, the great challenge we face as we prepare for the future is to be more spiritually enlightened.
Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

The Dream

Involved my manager...or the manager over her deciding to close down our store. This put me into a panic as I had no other jobs lined up, no idea what I wanted to do with my life after this and I had no idea how I would manage to pay rent and bills if I had no source of income.

Then the unholy tones of daylight pulled me away....
and I became myself again. :)

-S.N.D

No comments:

Post a Comment