Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Midnight Release

It was a random thing for work to do.
To schedule my day off on a Tuesday.
Really....I hardly ever get Tuesday's off.
But I hadn't really thought it about it, because I was waaay more distracted being overwrought that I had to work a Thursday Evening shifts when I'd always worked a Thursday Morning shift...which meant that an appointment I'd made, thinking that it wouldn't be a problem cus I always work Thursday Mornings, ended up having to be unmade. >.< Gah! Now I have to wait two more weeks to get in to the appointment...and there's no guarantee that, this current plan will work either...because my schedule is hardly ever consistent for long. *sighs*
Okay Rant over.
In any case.
I hadn't thought much about having Tuesday off.
Until I noticed that Brandon Sanderson's Words of Radiance midnight release party...was Monday night.
()_()
Monday night. And I don't work Tuesday Morning like I usually do. ()_() GASP!
I CAN GO! I CAN STAY UP ALL NIGHT!

Can you imagine my excitement? Because I was really excited. :D Totally really a lot many variations of tons of excited. :D

And I'd been scheduled this happy event...totally by surprise. :S
lol I guess it's to make up for Thursday.

In any case.
I went to the Midnight Release party. :D Something I haven't done since the Harry Potter books.

It was totally crazy fun. :) There were A. Lot. Of people there. I didn't mind it though. I had no deadline for the morning, I was in no hurry, which is great because going through a line to get your book personalized/signed by Brandon Sanderson....is never a 'quick' process. Sometimes Grass can grow faster than the line moves, really.

But not to fear. I came prepared. I had a book to read, notebooks to write in. It was perfect!
Only...I discounted the fact that I was getting a book. A very large book. A 1,000 and over book. Which meant reading the first 1,000 page book while holding the 2nd 1,000 page book...wouldn't work. And maybe...I could have written in my notebooks. Balanced them. Though writing standing up didn't sound appealing to me, and the line was moving quick enough....that I couldn't sit down, or I'd risk getting the people behind me mad/running me over.
So. I was stuck. Standing in a line. That I knew would take at least two, but most likely three hours to get through...with nobody to talk to. :(

I wasn't even sure I wanted to talk to anyone really.
Some of the fans can be...decidedly....single minded. And there are only so many ways you can talk Brandon Sanderson books before I'm like....Okay...not a 'super fan here.'....can't we talk about something else? I mean, I love the books, but...I don't constantly reread them. lol ^^;; With the exception of Alcatraz and The Way of Kings....I've only read the other books once. So yah, not much to talk about that I can always remember.

In any case. It was a single detail in this long line that got me talking.
One little thing, that I didn't think anyone would notice, but a few people actually did.

I was wearing this:
Aon Ene Pendant

It's an Aon Ene symbol from Sanderson's book Elantris.
-It means: Wit, Cleverness, Intelligence
And I'd gotten it years ago, as a gift, soon after reading the books Sanderson had out at the time.

Totally on a Whim I decided to wear it to the book signing. :) I was like "I wonder if anyone will notice this?"

Yep. Someone did.
There was a trio of three guys in front of me. All chatting animatedly.
-They will say I was ease dropping.
I kinda was...kinda wasn't. Mostly was.
Really, I wanted to join in, but being shy by nature, I didn't want to join in and have them all turn to stare at me like "What is this creature talking to us?" and all that awkwardness. (this is a bit of an exaggeration.)
Still, I was enjoying their conversation as I drifted in and out of it. Because even if I couldn't write in my notebook, I could still plot in my head and work on scenes and ideas....

When one turned to me, having noticed my necklace.
And I got sucked into the conversation from there.

I have to say that I had a lot of fun with them. :) It's been a while since I've been able to 'connect' with people on something I 'like.' Most of the time...that doesn't happen. I tend to go for things...my friends don't have an interest in, particularly with the books I like. As I tend to favor the big, full of description, extra long series sort of books, and they don't.
Still, we talked with the guys in line for nearly the entire time. :) Not always on books, and I didn't always vocally participate, but it definitely made the wait in line go much faster.
The amazing thing to this is....that I didn't feel awkward at all. I was able to jump in when I wanted (most of the time) and have things go smoothly. It was like "Hey! Long time no see Lets chat!" sort of conversation instead of "Oh...hey...we're both standing in line together.....yep. this is fun." type.

Many thanks to them for including me. :)

Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

4 comments:

  1. Hey! It's the guy that noticed your necklace. We really enjoyed having you join in on the conversation. I hope you are doing well and that your stories are blossoming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! :) I really enjoyed being part of the conversation as well. ^^ Again, thanks for the inclusion. And my stories are doing well. ^^ They're blossoming in unexpected ways due to reading Words of Radiance. :D ^^ How are things on your side?

      Delete
  2. Things are going well, I'm about halfway through Words and I am loving it.

    ReplyDelete