Saturday, June 25, 2016

The Let Down

It's annoying when the little 'bad' things that happen in your day just seem to pile on top of each other, so that even though you actually had a pretty good day.

You end up sitting there....feeling lonely, sad, miserable.....
For no real reason.

It's just a accumulation of this that and the other....brought your mood down.

I suppose today....it was disappointment.

You see, I've been struggling for like a month, to convince my managers to hire my friend at the store.

But it started off on a bad foot because when I was trying to say all the good qualities about my friend....I ended up...over qualifying her?
And put like multiple marks against her. The main one being that she was looking for a second job.

Apparently. That's a bad thing at work. :(
O.o
Which is weird because a fair few of my coworkers have second jobs....
But apparently they can't hire someone they 'know is going to quit."
And I'm like. O.o But...why then ask how long you want to work at the store on the application if you can't hire someone because you know when about they want to leave?? It doesn't follow logic.
Neither does the fact that they should prioritize people who don't have a job over people who are looking for a second job.
Shouldn't everyone have an equal chance?
I mean, if a person is looking for a second job...doesn't that show their dedication? That they're hard working? That they are willing to do what it takes to get more money??

In any case.
The managers were like. "Oh no, we're not going to hire them." "We can't hire them for these reasons." "We're not going to hire them."
And I'm like "JUST LOOK AT MY FRIENDS APPLICATION!!! Can't you see how amazing she'll be joining us in our team!!"

Frankly I just found it irritating.
Because they express that they can't hire people they know will quit.
But for the particular position my coworker applied for.
We end up losing 3 out of the 4 people we hire in that area within 3 months.
Most of the time we end up losing at least 2 of them within a week or two I feel like.
And all these people? Yah. This is their only job.

Honestly. Can't you see that that tract recored isn't boding well for you?

So I would bring it up every now and then. Just say "Hey, my friend is still available. You should hire her."
But it looked like it wasn't going to happen.
Again for that "already has a job reason."
As people were called in for interviews.
And she wasn't one of them.

But then.
Today.
My manager asked about my friend.
As he stated that the people he'd wanted to bring in and hire for that position....had all failed to show up.

Wanna bet they're all 'this would be their only job' people?
Case and point.

But he was like "I'm going to call her Monday and bring her in!"
And I was like "GREAT!!"
I even told my friend to expect a call to which she was like Awesome!

And me and the manager chatted a bit about her work ethic, and availability etc.
And I was buttering her up to make her look really good.

and I was so excited that finally things were going to work out and my friend was going to become my coworker after feeling like it would never happen. That justice was served and the girl with the job already would be able to get the second job.

....
But then I went to visit my friend.
As she was throwing a party. -Which I couldn't make it to because of work.
But I was just going to drop by and say hi.
But when I walked around the corner, and she saw me....
Her face dropped.
Like "Oh great. Sarnics here. Unexpectedly. What are we going to do with her?"
It was the look of "Oh no, here is someone to ruin our nicely thought out plans."

Admittedly.
I'd been planning to stick around a bit.
Honestly I'd thought the party would still be going. And I'd see what it was like, and either just stick around long enough to say "Hi, here's your present! I'm so excited we're going to be coworkers!" and then leave. Or else hang out and meet other people.
It all depended on the atmosphere.

But whammy to me.
Not a fun atmosphere.
In that I could just sense that she was waiting for me to leave.
That she didn't want me there.

Which. I brushed off in the moment. I usually do. In the moment I'm really understanding of situations. But afterwards....comes the doubts, the hurts, the loneliness.

As I wanted to just chat and catch up because I hadn't seen her in a bit.

So that atmosphere wasn't doing good for me.
And then...
came the Bombshell.

When I mentioned being work buddies.
She was like. "I'm not actually sure now I can take the job."

O.O
ummm..
WHAT?!

So I basically got slapped with a double Whammy hard in the face.
Because one. I'd failed my friend. Because the managers had waited too long and now she was past the point where we could easily hire her.
-Which was hurtful, because the same thing happened the only other time I tried recommending a friend to my managers to be hired.
Which she made valid points of why she might not be able to take the second job. Seeing her husband at some point for one, being able to sleep for another.

But still. I was like "DO YOU KNOW HOW HARD I WORKED TO GET YOU HIRED AND NOW YOU'RE NOT GOING TO GET HIRED?!?!"
I'd literally just been buttering her up not even an hour ago!! And now...I know that unless the managers are willing to work with her new time schedule (as her time schedule has changed at her other job which is bringing in the issues) she's not going to be hired.

Which stinks.

But then. the second half of that double whammy.
Is that I basically just let my manager down too.
I mean, I had basically all but promised that she'd be able to work with us within the time frames needed, and now I'd just found out that those time frames had changed. That'd I'd been giving out the wrong information.
But also, my manager had just told me that all his other hires hadn't shown.
And now I'd pointed him in a direction of my friend.
And it's going to go south if he's on the ball and calls her in for an interview and it turns out they can't work with her new schedule.

It means that he'll have to go on another hiring spree and see if he can find other people to hire instead.

So basically, I'm left feeling that I just let down everyone.
And that I basically put my neck and my credibility on the line....for nothing.
That I failed in being a friend....

It's a set of hard blows to come back from.
And keep the happy positivity going.

Who knows....against the odds it may work out.
But they're steep odds.
It will be a Cinderella moment for sure.

In any case.....
I know that if I ever have a friend apply to work at my job again.
I'm not going to say more than "Hey, my friend so and so applied for a job if you want to look them up." and leave it at that.
That way I can avoid sticking my foot in my mouth, and having to go through the 'let down' process for a third time.

Until you next see these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment