Friday, June 24, 2016

Safety Blanket

You remember when you were kid.
How you'd have a 'safety blanket' of sorts.
Where you couldn't go anywhere without this comfort item?
Whether it be an actual blanket, a favorite stuffed animal, or a certain necklace.

It was something that you didn't feel comfortable without it being near by.

Only, eventually you left that comfort item behind.
Or else found new ones to take the old one's place.

Like, for example, I would bring Stuffed Animals to school. To play with, to be my 'safety net' of sorts.
I may have done it way into Jr. High, I can't remember for sure.
I do remember I still had them in 6th grade....

In any case.
I ended up exchanging the stuffed animals for jewelry instead.
Where if I'm not wearing a ring and a necklace....I feel more vulnerable. Off center.

But I had the realization,
In the middle of a conversation with a friend about the fact that one of their friends is always bringing another friend with them whenever they go anywhere.

That your 'safety blanket' doesn't have to be an object.

It can be a person.

It's the thought...that you're so comfortable with the person, you have a ton of fun with said person. That you end up bringing them everywhere with you that you can.
As a safety net/blanket.
Because if they're there with you, you know you're not going to be alone. You know you'll have someone to talk to. You know you'll be able to have fun with them if wherever they're going ends up being not fun.

Which....for the person who wants to just do a one on one with their friend
Can be super annoying. lol.
You feel like you're 'not good enough' for the person if they're always bringing someone else with them. Or else you can't open up, discuss problems, talk to just them....
When there is a third wheel in the room.

I often felt that way with my roommate and her boyfriend.
There were days when I just wanted to be with my roommate.
But it felt like the boyfriend was constantly over.
And it would occasionally get on my nerves.

I learned, that I had to be really specific if I wanted to just hang out with her.
I had to say "You and I." Or "Just us." or other variations.
And sometimes she'd ask if she could bring the boyfriend along.
To which I sometimes said yes, and sometimes said no.

In any case.
Back to Safety Blankets.

People can be safety blankets too.
In that you know that soandso is really fun to be around. So why not bring them along to an activity to ensure that there is even more fun!

lol. I know that I did that a few times when I was getting together with other friends.
I would occasionally ask if I could bring my roommate along as well.
Or even way back a year ago when I was looking to move into a new apartment, I wanted desperately for my roommate to continue being my roommate and did what I could to ensure that it would happen. (which it did.)

And its the sort of thing, where you don't always realize what you're doing.
You're just....like besties with this person.
And if you're already often around them, then it feels natural to think of them, and think to see if they could join in on whatever you were planning to do.
As two is often better than one.

And it isn't even a question of 'comfort'
Like there are people where I love to be around them.
But that doesn't always stop me from trying to my include my roommate in with them as well.

It's just the sort of thing where you congregate where you know people. Hence why you always choose to sit with friends, or that one person you know when you're at a party/school/work/church.
Its your security blanket.
You know what to expect around those people.
So you stick by them. Because its safe.

Even if it causes annoyances with others....

It's funny how we do things without realizing it.....

Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment