Wednesday, June 22, 2016

The Unwanted Tenant

There is one thing I find irritating about work.
About all the different departments.

It's the fact that my department expected to help out and do all the other department's jobs when they can't get it done.
But....none of the other departments aren't expected to help out my department when we're in need.

Granted. In order to help out in my department you have to take a couple extra tests. As we go through a 'safety certification' when it comes to handling and dealing with animals.

Still, its frustrating all the same.
I mean, how many times could I have used back up in my department when I have twelve customers waiting for fish, but only me to get all those fish? Because even if I called for the managers to come back me up....its unlikely they would.

Yet, my department is expected to help back up the cashiers when they get overrun.
My department is expected to do down stocking and facing, and stock our own department when the stockers don't get to it. Which, to no surprise, is hardly ever it feels like.

It's frustrating. To expect so much from my department, and so little from everyone elses.

Today was another day of that.

Where the managers had gotten it into their head to go through my department, double checking inventory and holes on our shelves.

And they encountered an unpleasant surprise when they were going through the wood and paper bedding along a side wall in our store.
-The wood and paper stuff is placed in the bottom of rabbit, guinea pig, rat, hamster, etc cages.
Apparently,
A wild mouse had gotten into one of the packages.
And made a house there.
I don't know if it was just the one large bedding or if he'd expanded out to others.
I didn't encounter the situation until after the managers had cleaned up the huge mess on the shelf that had been left behind.

Ugh. Encountered yet another situation where "my department needed to step up"
Because apparently, if we'd been doing the stockers job, which is filling empty shelves, facing, etc...then we would have noticed that one of the bags had become a huge mess.

Which...honestly, how can they expect us to notice that? If it was in the back? How can we keep the department stocked and neat when we're constantly dealing with customers wanting pets and dealing with that? *shakes head*

In any case.
One of the managers told me to take care of the large bag of wood shavings, when I happened to walk past. (after haranguing me for my dept not facing and stocking our shelves)
So I picked it up, and went to take care of it.
Only.... O.o
As I was setting it down.
The area I was holding under my right hand.
Wiggled.

I put that thing down right quick! :S
Why was a bag of wood shavings moving?!?!
It's wood!

The obvious answer?
The one creature who chewed the holes in the bag....
Was still inside.
A bit of cautious poking, got the bag wiggling again, and into view.
Crawling through the bedding along the plastic.
Was a brown mouse.
A wild mouse.

O.O

In the bedding.
It's not like I wanted to pick that up and have the mouse come out and possibly jump on me.
So I needed to get the mouse out before I could continue on with my task.

But how?
I could just tear open the bag and let it escape....
But letting it escape into the store...didn't seem at all helpful, sanitary, or healthy for a wild mouse to be wandering around our store.

So instead.
I grabbed one of our critter totes.
-Plastic containers used to temporary hold creatures.
And placed it against one of the holes.
-after I put on some gloves just to be safe
And slowly poked at the plastic where the mouse was with the back of my box cutter. Directing it to the hole.
It took some time and patience.
But eventually I got the mouse to jump in through the small opening up top.

Where the mouse promptly went wild and acrobatic within the plastic container.
So I had to wait for him to stop being spastic before I could tilt the container back far enough to place shut the lid.

Where I was then able to take the mouse outside, and let him out onto the grass to go enjoy the outdoors.

Yay for the mouse rescue! lol.
Though...it won't surprise me if he's already made his way back into the store by now. ;)
















A picture of our unwanted tenant. Don't worry he looks squished, but he's alive and well.

Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment