Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Why Are You Over Here?

It's weird to find my head manager in my department at work.
Which is sad to say that it's weird.
Because he's the head manager.
I should see him in the dept constantly.

But instead, I don't.
Usually he sticks to the left side of the store. Where the registers and the offices are.
So it's rare that he actually ventures into my dept.

Yet, today I found him in the dept.
O.o
With his hand in one of our fish tanks.

O.o I've never seen him stick his hands in the fish tanks. Ever.

But today he'd decided to.
Why?
Because in that tank were our Large Tiger Oscar Cichlids.
And he was concerned that they were dying.
Because they weren't eating, and were just lying on the bottom of the tank.

So he was feeding them tiny goldfish (which they haven't eaten yet..) treated the tank with salt, checked out the lock lines. And asked a ton of questions.....*shakes head*

Honestly, I wasn't as concerned as he was about the fish.
Because that is typical behavior of them when they first arrive in the store.
They lay on the bottom of the tank and don't like to move/eat for the first little bit.
It can take up to two or three weeks for them to adjust, to distress from the travel.

And they had to be eating something....because that's a long time for a fish not to eat and still be alive. *shakes head*

In any case.
I was surprised at his concern.
but also slightly irritated at it.

Because this particular manager....like I said. I don't see him in our dept often.
And when he does take notice, it's only to take me and my coworkers to task.
"Why isn't this being done!" "Do you know the last time this was done?" "You know this hasn't been cleaned in forever look at it." "You need to get your coworkers to be more diligent in their tasks." "Have you noticed so and so isn't working as hard as before?" "We need to get the closers to be more active, there is definitely a lack of work ethic here!"

I could only answer as best as I could. As I had the day off from work yesterday, so it's not like I knew who opened the dept, who cleaned it, who did what....and how much of the problems of yesterday were being exaggerated....

But the fact that he claimed that my night closers aren't 'working' is because they've been so confused about what they can and can't do in the evening, that they find it safe to not do things and just focus on customers instead of having the potential risk of being yelled at by a manager.

Because there is a lack of communications with the managers. One will say "this is okay" while the other will say "No no! That is not okay! You can't do that!" And it goes back and forth, and even the manager who said 'yes,' might say 'no' or visversa for different reasons.

So my evening coworkers tend to focus on customer service or if anything, stocking the shelves with product that our stockers didn't get to. (cus they never get to it.)

But cleaning tasks?
Hardly one that will be done at night, as it's probably seen as a morning duty.
*shakes head*
So I can't fault my evening coworkers for not 'scrubbing tanks' as its seen as a morning task. Especially because I know they've been yelled at before for scrubbing tanks in the evening.

Sooo its frustrating.
Because the manager comes across as thinking that I should know everything that happens in the dept, and with my coworkers.

But I don't.
I work mornings.
There are people in my dept I've never met as thy work late evenings.
There are people who I only see long enough to give them the keys, update them on what still needs to be done and then leave.

Nor do I think the manager knows exactly what happens in the dept either. Unless he's more proactive at being in the dept after I leave....*shakes head*

In any case.
I wish he would come into the dept and compliment instead of criticize. Instead of complain. Instead of finding faults with my coworkers that I don't quite see them having.

*exhales* Sometimes I think he just finds problems to find problems.....

What I really wish we could do was just have a mandatory meeting for an hour where we could go over the expectations in the dept, the duties of everyone, what is expected when you're working certain shifts. And just get everyone on the same page then, because otherwise....who knows who's being told what....

Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment