Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Limited Battery

I've mentioned before, (I think, probably hopefully) that I have a limited Social battery. 
Which means that I only have so much of a tolerance of interacting with people before it starts weighing on me. Draining me. Making me tired and irritable and tense. 

For the most part, I can do pretty well rationing out my social battery energy so that I'm able to get through work.
Which, really should be rather easy currently as work is rather dead customer wise since the holiday season is over with. So there's less interaction and more opportunity to keep my social battery from running dead.

But it's also the thought of...I plan to expend so much energy at work.
Like I usually work an 8 hour day. So I figure out what I need to do and how much energy needs to be used throughout my shift so that I can end the day still mostly energized. 
(Though usually once I get home the 'tired' hits me pretty strongly. lol.) 

Today would have been one of those days.
Where I was able to keep my social and energy batteries from being completely drained.

Only...when it was time for me to clock out....my coworker hadn't shown up yet to replace me.
And when I went to find a manager to see if they'd seen my coworker, it was only then that they told me that my coworker had called out sick. 
Which. Noooo Why?!?!
But good news is that they had managed to call another coworker in to cover the shift.
Only...they weren't quite sure when my coworker would get there. But more than likely in the next half hour if I would be okay to stick around that long.;

Which yah. I can do that. I like my job enough that I don't mind hanging out longer.
Especially since that gave me the opportunity to finish a couple more tasks that hadn't yet got done, and wouldn't get done (since the covering coworker isn't trained in the task aspect of my department) if I didn't do them. 
So it gave me time to do that.

But...it was the unexpected extension of my shift.
And the fact that I had no idea if I would be there another 10 minutes or another two hours. (I clocked out 45 mins after I was off) that caused me stress.
Because again, I dole out my energy so that I can still be somewhat functional after work.
And I'd basically used it all up by the end of my shift, so the fact that i had to stay longer...meant that when I left work, I was pretty much in the red. 
I had a slight headache, my stomach was yelling at me, my shoulders were tense....
*exhales*

Honestly, I wish that I'd been told sooner.
Even like an hours notice that I would need to stay longer would have helped me better plan out the last remaining bits of my energy so that I could function after work and not deal with the tension that comes from going in the red.
*shakes head*
Why the managers didn't think to inform me when they found out my coworker had called out....I don't know....
At least, I managed to get everything done. So yay. :) 

Until you next see these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment