Wednesday, March 10, 2021

Alone to Manage

I was the only closing manager tonight.

Which was...weird in a way.

Because for the past...I don't know couple of months? I've been closing with another manager.

Technically they've been working my same shift with me because we needed the coverage in petcare.

But like...it's been nice to have another manager around. 

One who can help with any potential problems that might pop up with customers that require a manager to be present.

It's been nice to have that safeguard really.

And has probably helped me relax more into the manager position and be less...frentic about being left alone as the only manager on duty.

That doesn't meant that the concept doesn't still terrify me though.

Like being the one in charge? Yikes.

Especially when I'm not expecting it.

And today was one of those days I wasn't expecting it.

Because again, the past couple of months when I've worked a closing shift...I've had another manager with me until close.

But this week....we have Inventory.

Which means that we need at least...I don't know...three?? of our managers to cover the overnight shift where a third party comes in to count all the product in our store and make sure it's all done correctly and nothing gets broken and such.

Meaning that the rest of the week...well, schedules have had to shift around to make room for said overnight hours.

Meaning that today I was actually scheduled to be the only manager closing.

Which doubly sucked because usually a second manager will be present until the last couple of hours the store is open. 

But because of Inventory...my other manager left around dinner time.

Leaving me as the lone manager to manage the store. *exhales*

Yay stress.

Though thankfully it wasn't anything too crazy.

The nice thing about the Christmas season finally finishing is that the store doesn't get too crazy busy towards close.

Like, yes, we do get the customers who decide that they need to come shop like half an hour before we close. But it's not crazy busy. 

For which I'm grateful.

As I was kept pretty busy myself trying to do what I could to help my stocking crew and fellow managers get ahead in the inventory preparation process. 

lol busy enough that my coworker asked if I was 'okay' because I seemed kinda 'frantic'

Ha. Not really.

I was moving gravel at the time. Which is exhausting in of itself so that made it seem like I was more frenzied then I was because I was out of breath.

But overall I was okay being the only manager in the store tonight. 

Nothing crazy happened and I was able to get all the tasks I wanted to get done done so yay that.

But yah...definitely was a weird feeling to be by myself again.

Until you next find these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment