Friday, March 26, 2021

Rough Handling?

 So we have this policy.

One that's been in effect for...oh a year now.

Where we don't allow customers to handle any of the animals in the store unless they're planning to buy that animal that day.

The main reason for this is because we can't really social distance (stay 6 feet away) if we have to open the cage and then hand the animal to the customer, so we are doing what we can to minimize the chances of being exposed to people who could potentially be carrying the virus.

Overall it's been a great because it minimizes our interactions with the customers who 'just want to hold' a pet and allows us to be more productive elsewhere.

But occasionally you get in that customer that's like "Well how do I know I want it unless I handle it?"

Which yes, sound logic, but still...

Today was one of those days. 

Where this lady came in wanting to hold a bearded dragon.

And I was like "We don't allow handling unless you're planning to purchase the bearded dragon today"

And the customer was like "Well how can I know if I want one unless I hold one and see their personality?"

Which yah I get it.

So I went ahead and allowed the customer to have their way and I opened the cage and picked up the bearded dragon that she pointed to and placed it in her hand while making sure to keep a slight grip on the tail of the bearded dragon to a) keep it from running away and b) be holding onto a part of it if the customer decides to freak out and try and throw it. 

And the customer was like "Where did the bearded dragon come from, how old is it, etc."

And like...we get the animals from specific breeders that work with our company...but I don't know who they are or where they're located or anything. And usually the bearded dragons are around 3-4 months old when they come in like most creatures are.

And the customer was like "Well...I think I might go with a breeder instead because you handled the bearded dragon a little rough when picking it up and that's nothing against you it tends to be typical in pet stores, but yah." 

....Like how can I not be slightly offended by it?

Like....I know how to handle a bearded dragon. I've been working in my store for 8 years.

And I hardly was 'rough' when I picked it up.

I picked it up.

Like...reached in, grabbed it around the middle, lifted it up, placed it on the customer's hand.

There was nothing 'rough' about it. *shakes head* 

It's not like I treated the dragon like it was fine china about to shatter if it I looked at the him wrong.

But it wasn't like I was being 'rough' with it either.

I don't even know what she meant by rough. Gah.

But it bugged me for the rest of the day. That statement. "You handled him a little rough."

Like....WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?

No idea.

But it shows that the customer is rather particular/picky and probably will be one of those helicopter parents that worries over every little thing their bearded dragon does that they think 'isn't normal'

It would be interesting to discover if she actually went with a breeder or not though....

Until you next find these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment