Friday, March 12, 2021

Smashed

 You never realize how much you use something until it hurts to use it.

Aka. Your fingers.

Like yes, you use your fingers for a lot of things throughout the day, but it's crazy just to see how much specific fingers interact with objects throughout the day.

Today...I ended up smashing the pointer finger of my right hand.

Which honestly, it was only a matter of time before this particular incident occurred. Just rather frustrating it happened today of all days.

In any case.

I was bored out of my mind at work. 
It's what happens when everything to do in petcare has already basically been done by the time I show up for work. And then the fact that we had inventory last night meant that everything in the store had already been faced and worked on. And our truck of the day wasn't due until closer to dinner time. Which meant our expected fish shipment wouldn't arrive until then as well.

So basically I was left looking for things to do to keep me from growing crazy.

But I was also trying to help my coworkers out and give them tasks to do to help them pass the time as well.

And one of those tasks was that the sump--if that's the term for it--but the big water filter behind our fish wall for our comet tanks needed to be cleaned out. 

Aka gravel vaccuming all the gunk out that was sitting on the bottom of it.

An easy task. The only other thing really that would need to be done would be to remove the filter out of the sump first to give easier access.

And this filter is basically a giant plastic folder/sleeve thing that you pull most of the way out and open in order to pull out the filters -the foam stuff- to switch them out when they get dirty. 

But in order to better reach the bottom of the entire sump you have to pull the entire thing out.

And I'm usually pretty cautious about pulling the thing out because I am rather sensitive to my fingers -specifically the fingernails- getting caught on things and hurting myself. 

I don't know what happened this time.

Maybe I was just in a hurry, maybe the world was against me. Who knows.

But as I was doing my best to pull the big plastic folder filter holder thing out of the sump....the front half ended up...I don't know...slipping? 

And slammed down on my right hand pointer finger, squishing it against the back half of the folder filter thing.

I managed to pull the filter device all the way out before freeing my finger.

but OW

OW OW OW OW OW

Like you know it's bad when you can immediately see blood welling underneath the nail. *exhales* 

And it sucked because it happened towards the beginning of my shift, so I've had to deal with a sore finger all day.

And like it's not as bad as it could be because I'm left handed, so all the major tasks I do usually involve my dominate hand.

But there are plenty of other tasks in the store that I've adapted to using my right hand for.

And it's amazing how much I ended up choosing not to do because it would antagonize my finger. 

Like...even typing out this blog post I've had to adapt my typing style a bit because it hurts to put direct pressure on the tip of my finger. Pressing the buttons with the pad of my finger is overall okay but yah....trying to type this normally? Not gonna happen for a couple of days at least I'm sure. 

Hopefully the major pain will fade overnight and I'll be able to function more normally tomorrow.

but at the same time it won't surprise me if my finger continues to ache for a couple more days.

Because OW. It was quite the smashing it got.

Until you next find these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment