Saturday, March 20, 2021

Long Shift

So I had to work a ten hour shift today.

I guess I didn't 'have' to. 

But I did.

Because my closing manager called out sick today. 

Which meant that for the last couple of hours the store was open...there wouldn't be a manager on duty...

Which we can't do because a manager always has to be present in the store.

So someone would have to over those last couple of hours.

And option 1 was that I would stay late and work longer.

Option 2 was that my VP manager was the morning mid shift would leave the store a couple of hours earlier in their shift and then would come back for the last two hours. 

In either case...it would mean for about four hours or so...I would be the only manager on duty. :S

Like double yikes. 

I mean, I've gotten used to being the only one 'in charge' in the building.

But still doesn't mean that I like it at all. 
There's always that constant worry that something major would go wrong. Even though those sort of situations aren't common at all. 

Still. I don't know if I've ever closed on a Saturday night before. I know I haven't done so by myself. 

And Saturday's are usually the most crazy shopping days.

But I would much rather close by myself than be by myself in the middle of the afternoon rush. 

So option 1 was my choice. 

To work a couple of hours longer and therefore keep my mid morning shift manager until at least dinner time when the store is at it's most crazy.

Which was a good decision to make, because similar to last saturday's crazy, everyone and their mom decided to come into the store around 3pm and do their shopping.

So we were once again dealing with a line of 15-20 people.

But despite being short a manager, at least we weren't short on coverage or down a register so we were able to have two or three people manning the registers when the lines started getting long.

And in typical fashion -though it was rather unexpected for a Saturday night, the crowds died down after the sun set and it got closer to closing time. 

So we actually managed to get everything down and finished on time so yay me. 

Still exhausted though.

Working 10 hour shifts isn't fun. 

Until you next find these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment