Saturday, November 17, 2012

I Think It Began With R

Books.
I love to read them.
But.
I admit that the 'types of books' I like to read...can be a rather narrow field.
Until something happens.
and I pick up a 'new' book and read it...and actually like it.
Then my 'type of book' expands to include more variety.

It happened in Elementary School with Harry Potter because I thought term was ending and I hadn't made my reading goal yet, and the series was worth a lot of points. Bam! wizards/magic added to my 'good to read list.'
It happened in High School when my friends all said Twilight was good...so I read it. And walla!....okay I haven't really explored the vampire genre much beyond that. Cool concept...and all..yah a post for another day.
It also happens when I see friends/family reading books and the recommend them to me.

But before today...I'd never chosen to read a book...based off a movie trailer for the book.
And not those promotional movie trailers where they promote a book using visual things.
No this was a legitimate 'It's coming out next year to theatres" trailer.

See:

Yah.
haha. funnily enough...I was sitting in a theatre waiting to watch Breaking Dawn 2 when this came on the big screen.
>.< And me by myself, with no one to talk to. *sighs* I wanted to get others opinions! lol.

In anycase.
At the beginning of this trailer I was totally.
*Rolls eyes* oh come on! Not a Zombie movie! Bring me a Guardians Trailer!! (which they didn't.)
But...
by the end, bit by bit...mostly when I realized that this might be a set up where the zombie becomes human again...
I was hooked.
I WANT TO SEE!
;) It helps that the main actor is cute too lol.
Ha. I was actually impressed that they made a zombie movie....look good.
And it had to be good, since I still wanted to look more into after the movie...which basically doesn't happen...
In any case.
I curiously went home and looked it up.
And found out it was a book!
Figures. ;) lol.
Anywho I headed to the local B&N to go find this book,
and see if the writing style was anything like the movie style.
So I went to where I thought a 'zombie' book should be.
Yep.
The Teenager Section.
You know the "Paranormal shelves upon shelves of vampire stories" section.
O.o
Only I couldn't find it.
Anywhere there.
o.O
I didn't think it would be in the kids section. So I checked out the Sci-Fi/Fantasy section of the store.
No dice.
I didn't think there would be anywhere else for a zombie book to be....so just to see if they had the book I asked for help finding it.
Oh they had it....
In the Fiction & Literature section.
()_()
Zombies in Fiction? Nooooooo
Not even in the teenager section?
So weird to my brain.
I've walked past the F&L section tons upon millions upon lots of times.
I'm not quite sure what I thought resided in that section...
I'm sure zombies wasn't part of my thinking though lol.

Perhaps it's the 'the world has ended' section?
Cus that fits the book.
Who knows.
In any case.
I opened up the book and 10 pages later....figured I should probably buy the thing or spend the next Two hours in B&N...which wasn't possible because they were closing soon.

In any case.
I liked the book....I don't know how soon I'll read it again....it swears a lot...
but I loved the voice of the character and how things went down.
Though I can already see differences between the book and movie.
I'm okay with it.
The main plot line is there.
Just small details are missing....you know like a suit...or the odd beard...things like that lol.
And I think the movie will make it an even better story. :)

So for the first time ever today...
I bought a book on a recommendation from a movie trailer after I found out the movie was based off a book.
And then...I actually read a zombie book.
That was something I never thought I would do.
I mean....guys who moan and cry "Brains!" and eat people...who are dead....it didn't appeal to me. I didn't see any possibilities with the concept.
I mean...who would want to be turned into a Zombie and fall to pieces eventually?
lol I still....don't really see much with the Zombie genre.
But I love this whole "You became a Zombie, and now you can make yourself human again." concept.
It's super cool and up my alley.
I like transformation stories. :)

lol I guess we'll see what the future holds Zombie wise. :)
Hopefully not a real life Apocalypse....:S

Until you next see these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment