Sunday, January 13, 2013

Driving In The Moment

"Did you drive up here all by yourself?"
"Why Yes...Yes I Did."
 
You know....it never occurs to me that I could have gotten a ride with someone or given them a ride until after somebody asks me this question.
 
Why does this thought pop into my mind now?
Because I did that today.
Last night I drove up from CollegeTown to Hometown as today one of my CoChairs from Institute Council was having her farewell thirty minutes further north then my parents home.
So today I drove the rest of the way to the farewell.
And found that nobody else from CollegeTown had managed to make it up. :(
From what my CoChair told me, people got sick, or the two feet of snow that got dumped on the northern part of the state (CollegeTown got like nothing. >.< grrr) discouraged people from showing up.

For which I'm doubly glad that I made the effort to show up. As I wanted her to have some support from CollegeTown.
And as I told her. She was my CoChair, I wouldn't have missed this for anything. :)

lol, I think she was genuinely grateful to have me there.
As she introduced me to a ton of people and kept saying "She drove all the way from CollegeTown. By herself!"

I add in that "by herself" part (she did say that too) because she had friends drive up from CollegeTown from the Rival area...but that didn't seem to be as big of a deal...because there were two of them...

and I had just driven by myself....alllll the way up there....by myself.
O.o
Heh, I'm a bit confused about what the big deal about that is.
I'm confident in my driving skills.
The radio keeps me company.
I've done longer drives then that by myself.
And it wasn't even snowing to make it a harrowing experience.
Plus....I had a GPS lol. :)

Yet I remember getting that remark before from other people in Council....for other activities where I've driven up.
"You came here by yourself?"
Yes...yes. I did.

Truly...I never think about asking others for rides when these sort of events come up. I'm more of a 'do-it-yourself gal' and it truly does catch me by surprise when I say that I can't go...and then a person's like "Why don't you carpool?"
O.o
Uhh.....
The thought that comes to mind first is "Well...I don't think I live by anybody nearby who would be willing to give me or ride or is going." (really that's not true I suppose...though I do have no idea where anybody lives anymore, even if I did in the first place.) And I don't want to bug them and make them go out of their way to help me, plus I don't want to be a bother....

I did think about it a lot during Sacrament though.
I could have left a message "Hey I'm driving up to the Homecoming anybody want to come with me?"
But I didn't.
Why? Because I wasn't driving up for the day lol. And I doubt anybody would want to spend three days at my parents place...though I'm pretty sure we could have made room for them...that's probably a bit too much togetherness. When I do drive up from Collegetown, I tend to group things together so I can get things done....like tomorrow I have to go to the dentist, as I already knew I would be coming up for Her Farewell, I scheduled an appointment for the next day to make use of everything. :)
So there's one problem with asking people to carpool....

Another is....I guess I hate having to depend on others.
I mean....if I get a ride with someone then....I can't leave until they're ready to leave.
I suppose that could be different if I was in charge of the carpool though. :)

lol, in any case....
Having this question asked, and having my CoChair make such a big deal about driving like an hour and a half up to her farewell. (total trip if I hadn't stopped at my parents place.)

I think I may have found a new years goal to work on this year.

lol.
Think about doing things with people.
Try and reach out to go to events with people.
Get rides to places if I can't drive with people.
Offer to be the driver to places with people.

Basically...stop getting asked the question "Did you drive up here by yourself?"

Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

The Dream
It's been a while, but I had one of those repeat dreams...where I recognize that I've dreamed this dream before. This one involved a giant. Trying to kill me and my friends. I dashed into my Grandparents home...or just an empty home, and hid behind one of the dividing wall things with entrances on either side so that the giant couldn't see me, even if he flashed his light at me, but that didn't stop him from trying to break down the wall by throwing huge rocks inside the house to try and kill me anyway. I spotted a table and remembered that there was a hidden room on the other side and if I could just sneak into that room and block it up again, he wouldn't find me. I and my companions would be safe. Only...when i got into the hidden room...the front wall was gone and the table didn't hide what was inside. The giant found us anyway, reaching giant hands in to grab us as we tried to block up the place, and I ended up running outside along a big water drain pipe that slanted down a hill. It was coppery colored and me and a bunch of little elves were running from the giant to escape him, only he got smart and got ahead of us and blocked off the pipe. We slid down and ran to this field full of hay. It was a giant tower pyramid maze, and so we burrowed inside of it hoping that the giant would give up before he reached us.
Then -my perspective switched from myself to a young man...twenties with black hair- who from the way the children spoke, had just gotten back from a long journey...like a war, -he reminded me of the father from Nanny McPhee and the children did as well. I think he'd been a....prisoner of war for a long time...years maybe, as he wasn't quite sure what to do at home. He'd forgotten traditions, and things like that from being away so long. I'm guessing he had a different culture around him wherever he was at. The children sat him down at a table saying that today was a special day...it was "White's Day" (though I don't think that's the name of it.) Where you celebrated with a big dinner that contained foods that were only white. -I think there was more to this...something to do with a chimney...and maybe making everything white?- The family though was poorer then they had been...due to financial difficulties so the meal wasn't a big feast like it had been in other meals, but the children were trying to convince him to eat his white meat...-turkey or chicken- mashed potatoes, corn -which were yellow oddly enough- and a couple of other white things. They were trying to make this holiday seem as normal as possible when....

The unholy tones of daylight pulled me away....
and I became myself again. :)

-S.N.D




 

No comments:

Post a Comment