Saturday, October 24, 2015

Laptop Woes

So....I temporarily killed my laptop last night.
Which all in all after a very long 9 day work week, and just wanting to relax in general because I finally had a night where I could stay up late and sleep in...made it impossible to do just that.

I'm not really sure what happened.
I mean, I hadn't been on my computer all day.
Got home after a long day of this and that and work.
To find my computer acting up.

It would freeze.
The power button wouldn't respond.

and with this particular laptop/tablet thing.
Shutting the lid turns it off.
So I did that once.

Only to have it freeze again.

So I did it again.
Thinking that I would be able to get it to turn on again.
To Nada.

Nothing.
The power button would not work.
The tablet wouldn't turn on.
At all.
I let it sit.
It wouldn't turn on.
I hit it a few times (cus you know that works.)
And it wouldn't turn on.

For all intents and purposes...my laptop was dead.
I basically figured the hard drive had crashed.

Which has happened to my last couple of laptops.
So I wasn't surprised that it happened to my mini one.
Just disappointed.
I haven't even had my mini laptop a year yet.

But what else could it be?

In any case.
There was nothing further I could do last night.
Because the store I bought my laptop from...
Best Buy...was closed.
So I couldn't run it over and have them look at it.

Which meant I was left...computerless....
And after looking forward to having much sleep.....it wasn't a restful night.

I mean....
If my computer couldn't be fixed. There. in the store. In the morning.
I would have to have it sent out.
Which would mean that I'd be without my mini laptop for probably at least 2 weeks.

And this time...I don't have a back up laptop.
As...I still haven't gotten a replacement for my larger laptop that the hard drive crashed on...
Been waiting for a better sale for the one I want to buy to happen.
Now...Now it seemed like I would need to buy it now. At full price.

But I still had the problem....that the site I would order my computer from....still wouldn't give me the laptop for a couple of weeks anyways!

So I'd still be without a laptop! Gah!

And considering I spend a ton of time online. Blogging and such...
Going 2 weeks without a computer.
Not good.
I would go crazy before that ended.

Which meant I would need to get a computer sooner.
But I really....really....really. Didn't want to settle for a computer that I didn't want in the first place.

Yet, what choice did I have.
I needed a laptop sooner than 2 weeks.

Again, there was nothing I could do about it last night.
But that didn't stop me from staying up til 3 am...
Worrying.
Trying  to figure out what to do.

Finally.
I came to the decision. After a bit of research.
I thought that I would buy a less expensive laptop if it ended up being that I had to send my mini one out.
One that only cost like $200 or so....
A basic laptop.
So I would have that in hand.
While I still waited for my $$$ laptop to go on sale.
I would have a laptop tomorrow (aka today) and it wouldn't break my bank.
I could still wait.

It would leave me with 3 laptops when I got it all sorted out.
My mini one, my $200 one. My more expensive one.

Probably don't need 3 laptops.
But....I could use that to my advantage.

Have my mini one in my purse. For day to day travel.
Have the $200 one that really only works with an internet connection for...well...whenever I have internet...and my other one would stay at home.

Okay...truthfully like 2 out of those three would probably end up gathering dust.
But if anything  happened...
I would have backups.

Again.

But...this all depended on how my mini one would fair.
I wouldn't need to buy another laptop if my mini one proved to be fixable.
Still. Knowing that I had a game plan.
Depending on what happened.

I was able to get to sleep....somewhat....
It really was annoying that Best Buy doesn't open until 10 am. Because it was torture waiting for that hour to tick on by.

So I took my non working laptop.
To the store.
To have the geek squad look at it.

Apparently now...they don't accept 'walk ins' you have to make appointments. Which is annoying...
Thankfully they had some free time right then.
So they were able to look at my laptop.

And it turns out that my particular tablet/laptop thing.
Had a software update.
Which is rather glitchy.
and causes the computer to freeze. Freak out. Turn off and not turn back on.

And the way to fix that.
Is to do a hard reset.
-which I had tried before...but apparently not hard enough/long enough.

Because after a bit of tinkering.
Hitting the right buttons.
The guy at the store was able to turn my computer back on!!!
Mini laptop lives!!

And its working just fine!!
Yay!!

You don't know how relieved that made me.
I didn't have to buy a new laptop.
I didn't have to go without a laptop.

Its also good to know that other people have been experiencing a glitch like this with this particular laptop.
So. If it happens again. I know how to fix it.
Hopefully it doesn't happen again.
Or if it does...have it happen when I finally buy my new laptop....

Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment