Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Why Blog?

I've been thinking recently.
About Blogging.

Because a friend of mine mentioned that they wanted to start blogging again, because they had a ton of stuff/stories that they wanted to share....but they didn't want to go through the effort of blogging if no one was going to read their blog posts.

And I couldn't help but think...
That that's really the wrong way to go about it.

I've noticed over the years, and with friends/family starting up blogs....
That they haven't lasted.
There are those that only post a handful of times before their blog goes quiet.
Others have posted for a while...but because of life....have stopped posting.

There are a variety of reasons why people start a blog. Why people stop blogging even.

But...if this is something you want to keep at for a while....

Then really, you need to make your blog about YOU.

Because then you set your own expectations. You know what you're interested in. You know what you want to blog about.
Many blogs falter because people wonder "Who would want to read what I write?"
Or perhaps their blogs get super popular and they let stress and worry get the best of them, about what they think the reader's expectations of their blogs are.

And I have to say...
A blog doesn't falter if you're interested in what you're doing.
Sure, I started blogging because I hoped to become world famous and have hundreds of thousands of people read my blog every day. lol. Who doesn't think that?
But, that wasn't the motivating factor of me writing.
No. For me...that was my Great Grandma Maren.
Who thought my way of writing was great, and that I should work for a newspaper or something. lol
Instead I chose to blog. lol.
In any case.

Blogging.
I love to write. I love to muse. I love to just have a place to put my thoughts down. :)
So.
Why not put down thoughts about blogging? :) How to make a blog successful? Something like that.


1. Blog for you. If you don't like it. You won't keep posting.
2. Let your Blog Evolve. If something isn't working, change it. If you want to add in something, change it. Don't box yourself in.
3. Be consistent. If you want to post everyday that's great! If you decide you only want to do it once a week, once a month, every second and fourth Wednesday...stick with it. Readers only come when they know that the blog is consistent. If they don't know when you're going to post...they won't check out your blog that often.

It's not an easy thing to blog.
Trust me. lol. I know.

Because over the years, I've garnered myself four different blogs....
This one...has been the same. I call it my "Everyday Blog." Because I post whatever I want...everyday. lol you probably have noticed that some days have themes and others don't...because it's just one of those...blogs where I just do things to my fancy. lol.

Other blogs...
Less success.
I mean.
My secondthoughts2secondthoughts.blogspot.com blog....yeesh. My poor troubled problem blog. lol. It started out as a Comic Blog, focusing on Dating, then switched to writing down random story thoughts, to hardly being used at all...to now being a place to complain about work. lol.
Like I said...let your blog evolve. If it doesn't work...try different themes/topics etc until one sticks.

Others are middling. Like my kaputnous.blogspot.com blog.
It's a story blog. Where I write little stories.
And I'm definitely still working out the kinks.
Here is a blog where I got a bad case of "But what if no one reads it?!" as well as...I just struggle to write stories in general. lol. But hey, this place is a good place to practice isn't it? And it's still evolving as I work out the kinks....like how often I should post. :)

My newest blog is warriorofinspiration.blogspot.com
A blog I started because I wanted to have a place to post uplifting/interesting thoughts I found while reading the scriptures. And it quickly began to include General Conference talks as well. :)

Like I said...
Your blog can be about anything and/or everything.

My basic rule of thumb is....if it gets you excited...THEN DO IT!! Write about it! Gush and Obsess and have fun with your blog!
Don't worry about the viewers, the readers, the commenters.
If you're enjoying it then your blog isn't for nothing at all.
It's for you. :)

Good luck, future bloggers!
Hopefully something of the jumbledness above helped!! :)

Until you next see these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment