Wednesday, March 15, 2017

A Click Open

So.
There I was, in the break room. Taking my usual nap that I usually take on breaks.
When my manager -who I'd told like 8 minutes before that I was going on break- bursts into the break room singing to the song playing overhead at the top of his voice.
My coworker -the guy who cleans the floors and such- happened to be in the room at the same time and quickly went "SHHHH!!!"
To which my manager was like "Oh, sorry Sarnic. I forgot you were in here."

Mmmmmhmmmm *rolls eyes* Suuuureeee you did.
*shakes head*
Considering that it's common knowledge that I 'take naps' (rest my eyes) on my breaks...I doubt that my manager actually forgot that fact.
lol. Though it wasn't like he startled me awake in any case. I have a pretty good handle on 'not jumping' when people try to startle me. So for all looks, it looked like I hadn't even noticed the interruption.

However, I couldn't keep ignoring my manager....
Because I happened to be sitting at the desk holding our work computer.
-The one that we train our new associates on...
And he needed to be near it.

Why?
Well for whatever reason....the computer stopped working the other day....and my guess is that we got a replacement one so that we could actually train a couple of the new people who we hired.
And when the guy came in to install the computer....
He put some sort of lock onto the desktop. (whatever that box thing that isn't the monitor is called)

Not a lock like a password or anything.
No it was an actual lock. Like a key lock? On the box that was connected to a wire that would prevent people from walking away with the hard drive in their hands.

However.
My manager needed to unlock this lock on the desktop so he could send it back to whoever he needed to send it to.

Only...we'd never been given the combination to unlock the lock.

Upon calling the guy his helpful answer was:
Well it's either 0000, 1234, or any number between 2000-2017.

Apparently my manager had tried like two of the combinations before giving up.

And somehow the conversation got around to the fact that I should try and unlock the lock.

But me, being on my break...I was less than willing to spend my 'down time' trying to unlock something that wasn't guaranteed to unlock.

It was a weird lock besides. Where I had to spin four separate sets of numbers and get them into the right order in the right spot before this lock would supposedly unlock.
And it was so tiny that even my tiny fingers had difficulties making sure that I was only spinning one set of numbers at a time and not like...all four of them.

In any case.
I spun a few of those tiny dials before calling to quits.
I was on break.
I wasn't going to 'work' on break.

But when my break was over.
I set to unlocking this lock with a will.

Wondering in the back of my head the entire time if I was even doing it right or if the guy had even given us the right numbers to try.
After all...this wasn't a normal padlock.
I had no idea how this lock would open.
All I could do was try number sequence after number sequence.

So I did.
0000
1234
2009
2008
2007
2006
2005
2004
2003
2002
2001
2000

all to no avail and I only had like 7 combinations left to try.
2016
2015
2014
2013

about this point I was wondering if I had actually wasted my time.
If I had done something wrong.
Missed a step.

2012
2011

Last one.
LAST ONE. I had done something wrong. I mean how silly was it that the last possible combination would open the lock.

2010

And with a click the lock popped open.

()_()
THE LAST ONE!

lol. I may have pumped my fists in the air while calling out "YES!!" when it actually worked. lol.

The manager, when I told him I'd unlocked it, was surprised that I'd had to go up to 2010 to get it unlocked.

Honestly, I don't know why he was surprised....it was part of the list of numbers he gave me....
Nor did he know that I'd tried 2011-2017 before I hit on 2010.

Still.
I felt pretty good about myself. ;) Felt like a master lock pick for half a second there lol.

Until you next see these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment