Thursday, June 1, 2017

Faith to Try Again

Those who bear the Aaronic Priesthood should be given opportunity to magnify their callings in that priesthood.

One Sunday two years ago I was attending sacrament meeting in my ward.
That's a rarity.
There were three priests at the sacrament table, with the young man in the center being somewhat handicapped in movement but particularly so in speech.
He tried twice to bless the bread but stumbled badly each time, no doubt embarrassed by his inability to give the prayer perfectly.
One of the other priests then took over and gave the blessing on the bread.

During the passing of the bread, I thought to myself, "I just can't let that young man experience failure at the sacrament table."
I had a strong feeling that if I didn't doubt, he would be able to bless the water effectively.
Inasmuch as I was on the stand near the sacrament table, I leaned over and said to the priest, closest to me, pointing to the young man who had experienced the difficulty, "Let him bless the water; it's a shorter prayer."
And then I prayed.
I didn't want a double failure.
I love that passage of scripture which tells us that we should not doubt but believe.

When it was time to bless the water, that young man knelt again and gave the prayer, perhaps somewhat halting but without missing a word.
I rejoiced silently.
While the deacons were passing the trays, I looked over at the boy and gave him a thumbs-up.
He gave me a broad smile.
When the young men were excused to sit with their families, he sat on the row between his mother and father.
What a joy it was to see his mother give him a big smile and a warm hug, while his father congratulated him and put his arm around his shoulder.
All three of them looked in my direction, and I gave them all a thumbs-up.
I could see the mother and father wiping tears from their eyes.
I felt impressed that this young man would do just fine in the future.

-Thomas S. Monson -Our Sacred Priesthood Trust -April 2006 General Conference

Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment