Tuesday, November 14, 2017

A Compliment

I was in the middle of finishing a task involving cleaning our hamster cages. Where I was putting back their food and water, wheels and houses. When I had a customer approach me, needing help.

Which usually isn't an issue.
But became a slight problem when she stated empathetically that she didn't speak much English.

Unfortunately...I don't speak much Spanish...and our Spanish speaking people had all just barely left. *exhales* 

Still I gamely tried to figure out what she was saying in her smattering of English and a lot of Spanish.

Which thankfully, I can still recognize a lot of Spanish words so that even though I can't really speak the language.
I could get that she was looking for a specific brand of Dog food for her dog.

It also helped, because she had a Vet Prescription card in her hand. Which meant that she was looking for a specific dog food in our prescription section of the store.
Easy to find.

Only...lol it was kinda difficult to get the point across to her that we needed to go to the front of the store, when she knew that the back of the store held the brand of food she was looking for. 
(As the prescription foods have normal brands that you don't need a special card for.) 

And that confusion was because she had been feeding her dog wet food. -Which she knew you could find at the front of the store because that was prescription too. 
But now the Vet wanted her to switch to dry food.

However, whenever I tried to point out that both types of prescription food were actually in front of the store....
She thought I was misunderstanding her.

And so empathetically took me to the back of the store where her husband was waiting. 
To show me the brand of food, and then point to the prescription card to show that she couldn't find the particular type she needed. 

And all the while I was trying to think of any Spanish words I knew that could convey the point across that the food she wanted was in the front of the store.
I couldn't.
I ended up sticking to English.
But I did manage to convince her that the food she needed was at the front.
And upon reaching the prescription food, I directed her to the hard dog food below the canned food she'd been getting before.

And it was rather...interesting.
Because she got all complimentary. 
She was like "Ah!! You're muy intelligente!! muy bonita! Good job. Using your head! Gracias! Ah. You're muy intelligente!" 

Like...her expression of gratitude and compliments were totally unexpected lol.
I was just showing her where her dog food was.

But I think that she appreciated that I was able to figure out what she wanted from what Spanish/English she was using and show her what she was searching for.
I think she was happy that I took the time to try and understand what she was getting out and that I was willing to help.

However.
It made my own day as well.
^^;; I love getting compliments. It totally brightens my day.

Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi 

No comments:

Post a Comment