Friday, November 3, 2017

Polite Discourse

We all do it. 
Assume things of each other.
Make judgements.
Decide that we know what's up and what's actually going on.
And then take action based off of those assumptions. 

...and sometimes our assumptions are proven right.
Other times they're proven wrong. 

*shakes head*
In any case. 
I had a bit of an experience on a different social media platform.
Where I tend to post more spiritual things. Quotes from General Conferences that I liked and such. 
Mostly because I'm still trying to decide on how to use that particular social media. Figuring out what exactly I want to post.
And for now. I thought it would be fun to post conference quotes. *shrugs* I find them inspirational, and I figured why not share it?

But sharing these quotes on that social media....
Can occasionally bring out interesting encounters.

I had one of those today.
When I logged into that platform, and saw that someone had commented on one of my conference posts. 

Basically saying "You know...there's more to God and spirituality than Conference Quotes. Just saying...try reading the Gospels." 

Which....Honestly. O.o 
I didn't quite know how to react.
Because....it's something I don't get when it comes to interacting with people on this social media site in regards to religion...it's that they assume because I'm posting only ONE thing....that I haven't ready ANYTHING else religious based. 

Like...I know that there are people who probably have limited their exposure to spiritual reading material. 
But...why would you assume that just because I'm posting Conference stuff...that I haven't read other materials? 
I admit, I haven't read widely of spiritual books. Mostly because I can't always stay focused with them. Fantasies/Mysteries are more to my enjoyment. 
But it's not like I'm unaware of different religions, different view points, different emphasis on which texts are 'right' and 'the best' and 'most correct.' etc. 

It's like...I wonder if people who have media accounts that focus on just one thing like "Writing tips." or "Gardening Tips." 
Ever get replies like that? 
"You should stop posting just writing tips and actually Write something." "You should stop posting writing tips and look into artist tips." "Gardening is more than just plants in a pot, you should look into pruning Orchards as well." 

Like...do other 'themed' accounts get this sort of response?
The responses of "You shouldn't put all your eggs in a basket, but should look into these other things too?"

Because it's just....interesting...that I get such a response.
I've gotten such comments before. "You shouldn't just rely on quotes from General Conference, you should read THIS spiritual text." 
And like....I have? I do? I just choose to focus on posting conference quotes currently. That's all.

I have a goal to read all the conference talks available on the LDS app. Conferences spanning from 1971-2017.
Soo...I'll be reading them for a while lol. 
(I've done other similar goals for the Book of Mormon and the Bible and such in the past, just wasn't as active on social media so it's not as documented. lol.) 

*shakes head*
So yah...
I basically responded that just because I'm currently posting from one source doesn't mean I haven't read from others. And that while everyone gains inspiration from different sources of religious text, that doesn't mean one is more right than the other, or that we all gain the same sort of inspiration from the same text. While one source could inspire one person, it may not inspire another person in the same manner. 
We're all unique individuals here, with unique likes and tastes and sources of inspiration. 

Thankfully, I feel we ended the discourse on a good note. ^^
So yay for that! :D It was a relief really. I like chatting with others when things remain cordial. It's fun to do so and see others viewpoints. :) 

Until you next see these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment