Wednesday, November 8, 2017

The Cockatiel

There was this little old lady wandering around my department today.
Holding a bag of bird food, she was looking a little lost.
So I went up to her and asked her if she needed help with anything.

To which she replied that no, she was just looking around. 
But she wanted to make sure there was nothing she was missing...
Because she hasn't owned parakeets before.
But she had a cockatiel. 
But she ended up giving up the cockatiel to the vet, because the bird got sick with some sort of pneumonia and she couldn't afford to take care of the bird.
And so the vet offered to take it from her and would nurse it back to health and then adopt it out to someone else.

So she let the vet take her bird.
But still wanted birds.
And decided that taking care of parakeets would be easier than taking care of a cockatiel. 
And just wanted to make sure there was no special food or anything else that the parakeets would be needing.

Which after talking to her, and hearing her story about the cockatiel at least six more times....
We parted ways with her satisfied that she had everything she needed.

And I was able to go help the next customer.
Who turned out to be one of the regulars in the store, who often comes in to get things for his birds. 
I see him every couple of weeks or so, and so asked how everything was going and he was like "Good! Did I tell you I got another bird?" 
O.o
No?
I mean....last time we'd chatted he'd bought another bird....a parrot. 
So I was wondering if he was talking about that parrot or if it was another bird.
And he was like "Yah! I adopted it from the vet, it's a cocka...cocka..." 

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. 
"A cockatiel?" I asked.

"Yah!" he nodded. "One of them, sweet bird. He was given up by the owner, some 90 year-old lady who wanted it euthanized when it got sick. And while some Vets will do that, the Vet I visit doesn't believe in putting down birds that are healthy. So the vet took the bird off the lady, and we nursed it back to health, and now he's mine." 

"...did this bird have pneumonia by chance?" I asked. 

He nodded. "How did you?"

"You saw the old lady I was talking to right?" 

"Yah?"

"She was just telling me that she gave her cockatiel to the vet....because it had pneumonia, and she couldn't care for it and the vet said she'd adopt it out." 

Lol. 
It's crazy.
It was a crazy moment.
Like...is it possible that two different little old ladies took cockatiels to the vet and gave them up? Sure.
But likely?
No.

It's so crazy how that scenario happened today lol. 
Like....what are the odds that the two customers who at different times owned the same bird...would mention that bird and come in one after the other?

Totally.
Crazy. 

Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment