Thursday, November 2, 2017

What A View

Many years ago my father built a small cabin on part of the ranch property where he had been raised.
The vistas across the meadows were exceptional.
When the walls were framed in for the cabin, I made a visit.
I was surprised that the window with the view focused directly on a power pole that was a short distance from the house.
To me, it was a huge distraction from the magnificent view.

I said, "Dad, why did you let them put the power pole directly in front of your view from the window?"

My father, an exceptionally practical and calm man, exclaimed with some emotion, "Quentin, that power pole is the most beautiful thing to me on the entire ranch!"
He then made his case: "When I look at that pole, I realize that, unlike when I grew up here, I will not have to carry water in containers from the spring up to the house to cook, wash my hands, or bathe.
I will not have to light candles or oil lamps at night to read.
I want to see that power pole right in the idle of the view window."

My father had a different perspective on the power pole than I did.
To him that pole represented an improved life, but to me it was a stumbling block to a magnificent vista.
My dad valued power, light, and cleanliness above an aesthetic view.
I immediately realized that while the pole was a stumbling block for me, it had great practical, symbolic meaning to my father.

-Quentin L. Cook -Valiant in the Testimony of Jesus -October 2016 General Conference

Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment