Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Steelheart

There I was.
A bit disgruntled about being at work.
Why?
Because I had an evening shift.
One that happened to happen at exactly the wrong time of day.
For there events happening,
That I hadn't wanted to miss,
But they weren't important enough to ask for time off.
 
I mean, who would ask for time off to go watch a T.V. show?
Not me.
Soo even though I was bummed out.
I didn't mind too much missing the premier of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D
I mean...I'd only been looking forward to it since it was announced to be on T.V......
But the nice thing about internet...is that I can watch shows I miss.
Albeit it's the next day....
and the quality isn't as good, for the buffer system totally lies. It may have 'buffered' but the jumpiness tells me otherwise.
*sighs* Unfortunately, I see this happening a lot in the future. Boo.
 
No, like I said, I can deal with that...mostly.
 
But the main disappointment?
I was missing an Author Signing.
Brandon Sanderson was signing near me....exactly during my work shift.
I  mean, my shift ended just as the signing was supposed to end.
 
Which would mean, No go for the signing.
And that, was a total disappointment for me.
I mean, author's don't just drop out of the sky and sign near you every day.
 
Only, I had a slim hope.
Having gone to his signings before. (Yes, I've been to more then one, he's written a lot of books after all. :P)
I know that they tend to go....long.
Like I stood in line for hours, long.
And being pretty confident that this signing would be like all the others and go long...
I knew he would still probably be there. I mean, I got off just as he was supposed to be done, and my drive was like a minute away. Therefore, he would probably still be there.
 
So I was sure I could at least see him,
What I wasn't sure about.
Would be if the workers at the store would let me get into line to get my book signed.
I mean, I've been to places before where after a certain point, they stop letting people get into line so that the event can finish on time.
And that time, had officially ended like 10 minutes ago. (you can never get out of work on time when you want to be somewhere else.)
 
So I entered the book store.
Went over close enough to the front of the line to confirm that indeed, Brandon was still there.
Before I went searching for the end of the line.
And even better...the book that had come out yesterday. Steelheart.
 
Towards the back of the store I discovered a table that had been set up. That had some of Sanderson's books on it. Including Steelheart.
It obviously looked like a staging ground. Where people would have come (had I been earlier) to grab a number for the line and a book to sign.
So I politely asked. "Can I get a copy of Steelheart?" while pointing to one of the two books on the table.
Totally missing like...the whole two carts behind them stacked with the same book. lol.
And they were like "sure! Do you want a numbered copy?"
A numbered copy? Oh right, Sanderson likes to number some of his books.
"Yah, why not?" I responded. Then I asked "Am I still able to get in line to meet him?"
"Of course!"
"Is that the back of the line there?" I asked, gratefully, pointing to where I saw some people sitting on some chairs.
"Yep."
I grabbed the book #436 and headed back there.
 
Can you imagine my excitement?
I WAS IN!
I could get a book signed! Yes!
...of course the numbered copy was already signed...but now I could get it personalized.
 
So I got in line, intending to start reading the book then and there.
I mean, who knew how long I would be standing there.
-Great thing about him, he likes to talk to fans and answer their questions. lol The down side, you end up standing in line a whole lot longer. Never, ever, plan to do anything right after the signing. You won't make it.
Back to subject. I intended to read the book, but instead got talking to the guys who had been at the end of the line before I joined in.
-I was the 'end of the line' for most of an hour it seemed like, but then some more people jumped in, so I didn't feel so bad being in line. lol.
 
In any case, I only got to read like the first two sentences of the inside flap while standing in line.
"Ten years ago, Calamity came. It was a burst in the sky that gave ordinary people extraordinary powers."
 
I hadn't known anything about this book beyond the title before it hit the shelves.
But I could tell, I would already be hooked.
I mean, people getting superpowers? AWESOME!
I think I also caught a glimpse further down the flap. ...Which basically said that the people with powers...weren't the good guys.
Even more Awesome! I hadn't read more then that and I already knew I was going to like this story. :D
 
I'm kinda glad that I didn't hit any of the links that were posted about the book before buying it. It would have made waiting for it to come out four times as hard.
Knowing nothing about the book, I could look forward to it coming out without having to anxiously wait for it to come out.
Besides, I haven't been disappointed in Sanderson's books yet. Why would I be disappointed with this one?
 
So two hours later, I finally got my book signed! Yay!
I won't go into the conversation with Sanderson, there wasn't much of one. lol. I didn't know what to say to him, (I usually don't) and besides...he'd been siting at that table for like 6 hours. And with the end of the line in sight...I'm pretty sure he'd be happy to finally head home. lol.
 
In any case.
The book.
 
Have you ever gotten so into a book, movie, show...that you're surprised to find that it's not actually in the real world?
Yah. Happened to me with this book.
I got online and went to the MSN news page, and expected there to be some sort of news story on something crazy evil that an epic had decided to do during the night.
Seriously.
It was rather disappointing to not have anything like that on the news. As I did want to hear more about the Epics and what they could do.
 
It was amazingly good. A fun action thriller, but also a cool superhero story.
 
Seriously, if you like reading books about people with powers. (especially if they're the bad guys. and you want to see the 'normal' people work together to try and defeat them.) I would read this book. :)
 
Though...if you hate waiting for sequels to come out....like I do. Hold off on reading this one. As it is the first book in a possible trilogy, maybe longer series. It does end in such a place where you don't have to throw the book against the wall and scream "BUT WHAT HAPPENS NEXT!" But it will leave you with unanswered questions, that hopefully will be answered next year. :)
 
Awesome book.
Awesome.
 
 
 
Until you next see these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

The Dream

It involved me traveling between two different worlds, though I wasn't sure if the second world was a real place, or a mind place. Getting there involved a bathtub full of water, and if you were in the water too long, you would 'get lost' during the 'journey' between the worlds. I had wanted to stay in the other world later, as a crisis was happening and I was trying to help stop it. Only there was a crisis happening in my world as well, and I got forcefully drawn back into that world, almost dying in the process. It was horrible because I had had to leave two men, kinda like my dad and grandpa behind. I thought them both dead, but in my desperation to get back to the other world, I emptied the tub, and moved it out of the way and discovered both of them buried in the dirt below. My grandfather was missing his right leg at the hip, and I'd found the father figure with a leaf over his eye. Apparently he'd been 'killed' by somebody, a woman who wanted him dead...

Then the unholy tones of daylight pulled me away....
and I became myself again. :)

-S.N.D

No comments:

Post a Comment